CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

phantom

2nd December 2019, 19:06
Thanks deadlypun - all done now, but I've not been able to parse 23d: I have the extra letter but can't see how to use it.
31 of 49  -   Report This Post

malone

2nd December 2019, 19:15
Phantom, the first letter and last two letters of the answer are an old word for 'expert'. If you stuck the extra letter in front of what's left, you would 'withdraw statement'.
32 of 49  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

2nd December 2019, 23:36
I thought this was very good. Thought it might be a bit easy at first but proved challenging enough to finish off. Some very good clues eg 38. Could have perhaps had more than 4 examples of the theme and I don’t like 37 at all - is that supposed to be semi &lit?
33 of 49  -   Report This Post

murky

3rd December 2019, 06:14
Apart from a slightly strained surface I can't see any problem with 37. It's a standard charade (with three components) and a definition in the last three words of the clue. I don't think it's an attempt at semi &lit.
34 of 49  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

3rd December 2019, 13:10
Thanks murky. I misread it late last night. Thought the answer was the individual, not the practice. Having looked again I can see it’s fine.
35 of 49  -   Report This Post

gazzar

4th December 2019, 14:56
I started this late so if anyone is still reading this thread I'd appreciate some help.
I'm stuck on 25d and 41a - are they both thematic (treated) entries? Is the visitor in 25d the one in the famous film?
I have almost all the hidden piece of advice but for the life of me I can't find the literary work or the author's name.
Any assistance would be gratefully received.
36 of 49  -   Report This Post

drxx

4th December 2019, 15:42
Yes, both are thematic (the visitor isn't ET, you need a common 5 letter word minus the middle letter).

The author's surname is short, and his nationality is as you'd expect.

There's a fairly common forename in the grid, with a less common ending - this '+' the author's surname will get you to the source of the quote.
37 of 49  -   Report This Post

gazzar

4th December 2019, 15:47
Thanks drxx. I'll have another go at it!
38 of 49  -   Report This Post

gazzar

4th December 2019, 16:36
All done now thanks to your help, drxx.
39 of 49  -   Report This Post

phantom

5th December 2019, 13:51
Thanks malone: I hadn't been able to see the expert.
40 of 49  -   Report This Post