CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

casanova

1st December 2019, 07:16
Filled the grid and I have ascertained the quotation and author, but I can’t identify the recipient of the advice given in the quotation. Any help would be much appreciated.
21 of 49  -   Report This Post

malone

1st December 2019, 07:47
Casanova, it's a forename you need. I treated it as a wordsearch and started scanning across before heading down... it didn't take long to spot a six-letter English forename...and then I realised the additional letters made the (appropriate language) version of a slightly longer name.
Hope this helps!
22 of 49  -   Report This Post

casanova

1st December 2019, 08:22
Thank you Malone.
23 of 49  -   Report This Post

malone

1st December 2019, 08:33
Glad I could help, Casanova, if I did!
24 of 49  -   Report This Post

crates

1st December 2019, 08:52
You will probably find ir by searching the grid - but I just googled the whole phrase - the fourth entry (French wikiquote) gives the full phrase with it included.
25 of 49  -   Report This Post

granama1

1st December 2019, 09:21
Thanks robp86 and drxx. Re 21a I got fixated on an attorney general at the time of the civil war that produced an 's' (having assumed time was 't'. It all seemed quite neat...as he'd served in the war...but not as a general. Doh!
For 39 the only way I could make it work was as special constable but knew that was a big stretch for specifically. Couldn't find any other sc abbrev in Chambers that seemed likely.
Still, it's an improvement to complete unaided, even if I didn't parse everything. Oh. Not completely unaided now I think about it. 38a beat me completely.
26 of 49  -   Report This Post

williamseal

1st December 2019, 11:19
Greetings all who assist. Have gone a long way to completing the grid and also found the quotation. Maybe I'm being (more) dense but can someone give me a hint as to the clues that need adjusting and how they should be adjusted? Does 6 across fall into that category? I can't see it at all.
Many thanks
27 of 49  -   Report This Post

merenz

1st December 2019, 12:54
Hi williamseal. There are 4 that fall in to that category. 6a isn’t one of them but there is one that comes down from it. Consider the translation of the quote. Four of the answers are examples of the keyword. Re 6a, balmoral and sandringham are not castles in the wordplay but a reference to dialects for a word meaning ‘dresses’. The last word is the def
28 of 49  -   Report This Post

diver

1st December 2019, 15:46
This was a bit easier than recent offerings, once I realised the quotation was in a foreign language and I found the translation. The special treatment of some of the answers fell into place too. Hopefully there will be some more easier ones leading up to Christmas as there are always other things to be getting on with!
29 of 49  -   Report This Post

williamseal

2nd December 2019, 10:39
Thanks Merenz
Some progress at least ! Have now solved 6a
Will look at this thread again and have another bash. I found this puzzle difficult, alas, and am still not clear on how the clues (8 down for example) need to be adjusted.

30 of 49  -   Report This Post