CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ginge

27th November 2019, 07:38
Hi kt17, I hope you don't mind an alternative as I kept changing my mind between both but think this might work if a down clue;

Fugitives, might they carry a gun (or guns !) ? (7)
31 of 56  -   Report This Post

kt17

27th November 2019, 09:05
Go for it Ginge, no problem with alternative entries.

Go for it Mattrom, you can hardly speculate that you won't be a winner, with your record!
32 of 56  -   Report This Post

tyke51

27th November 2019, 10:14
Beans carrying a message? (7)
33 of 56  -   Report This Post

nemo

27th November 2019, 17:09
After the first race, the leaderless RA head the programme (7)

First race : R
Leaderless RA : (G)UNNERS
Race Programme: Runners and Riders
34 of 56  -   Report This Post

jws

27th November 2019, 17:47
Royal Navy "take care of" smugglers (7)

anagram = RN + nurse

smugglers = defn
35 of 56  -   Report This Post

jws

27th November 2019, 18:38
Etre un legume? Non. Haricots (7)

Etre un = be an

haricots = defn

apologies for missing out accents
36 of 56  -   Report This Post

kt17

27th November 2019, 19:10
Well, it was rather a tough word to work on but I make no apology for that – as this is the gold standard of competitions and as you are such brainiacs I felt comfortable in choosing it. Not a bad turnout, considering – thank you all.

Dorrien started us well – I do enjoy her (or his, I’m not sure) pithy style: SW then brought us a news story in a clue – no I wasn’t aware but I’ll be talking to my cousin who works on the rails!

Paul rarely disappoints, first with a cunning subtractive anagram with a superb surface, then the neat @7 which gave me a chuckle. Later he rolled out the Axminster in a very well knit clue, if on the singular side.

ChrisE found an elusive pure anagram and gave us a seasonal clue – or should that be ‘sneezonal’?

Nemo you read my mind (see prize) and were it not that I found that clue rather singular it would have been a contender. Later you invoked ‘runners and riders’ in rather elegant style, becoming even racier with 34.

SW then returned like Rocky 2 with a stunning, concise zinger (10/12) – I loved it but woke up at the ‘devil’s hour’ worrying about 'that' apostrophe.

FJ exploded out of the blocks with an elegant, almost effortless attempt, much enjoyed. Later he brought us Hermetic pulsage.

I had to ask for Aristo’s assistance with his – rather sophisticated - double definition. Then Tyke weighed in with a good cricketing DD, I was surprised that ‘field’ had not been used before.

But then Ginge also made good use of ‘field’ with a diabolical wordplay that stonkered me, but very clever as e’er, then FJ returned to the fray with two clues using clever wordplay.

BBM sent in a magisterial - stentorian even - three-worder: I’m not sure how Ximenesian the definite article was but a very fine clue nonetheless.

We are commanded to disregard Mattrom’s tight 29, if she is away next week that will make it easier for the rest of us.

Ginge reappeared in Marlowesque (or should that be Marlowe-esque?) form, and returned to the scene of the crime.

JWS brought up the rear with Prohibition era smugglers, perhaps needed more indication of the anagram – then hitting us with a hearty French stew that gave me a smile.

Along the way there were five or six clues that I thought would be the winner, until they were edged out by subsequent ‘runners’.

I have an outstanding champion – this choice might not please the purists but I’m sure a few impurists will agree, congratulations to BigBadMarty2 with his brilliant, insouciant @28:

Shoots the messengers (7)

Bravo!

This prize will transport you to a magical, eccentric place a lifetime ago – if you find it tiresome fast-forward to 1m40s and give it a minute, you’ll get my drift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUIWYORY3aE
37 of 56  -   Report This Post

chrise

27th November 2019, 19:25
Congrats BBM2 and thanks kt17 - also for the mention!

I've been ferning on Madeira - the levadas are the most boring walking I've ever done. A triumph of engineering, but mile after mile of constant gradient walkways alongside the water channels.

Tourists, if they're mad enough, can still pay an arm and a leg to ride a sled from Monte about halfway down the hill to Funchal.
38 of 56  -   Report This Post

tyke51

27th November 2019, 19:28
Well played BBM2 - thanks for a good challenge Kt17 !
39 of 56  -   Report This Post

kt17

27th November 2019, 19:44
@ChrisE - aah we'll have to differ there - although walking has never been on my to-do list when visiting there!

Did you sample the delights of its 'Isle of Wight' Porto Santo?
40 of 56  -   Report This Post