CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

27th November 2019, 19:48
Not sure what that is, KT17.

Not great for birdwatching either, though I did see the native pigeon.
41 of 56  -   Report This Post

jws

27th November 2019, 19:56
well done BBM2

thanks to kt17 for hosting. Are you near the Derby?
42 of 56  -   Report This Post

skyewalker

27th November 2019, 20:06
Nice one, Marty! Would have been my choice, too. Thanks KT17 for the challenge and for the mentions.
43 of 56  -   Report This Post

kt17

27th November 2019, 20:08
@jws - I live about 4 miles from the racecourse, on the poor side of town!

@ChrisE - it's an archepelago and the Island of Porto Santo is as different to Madeira as chalk and cheese - the locals go there for their holibobs and Columbus lived there for a time.

Your point about bird life is well made, but then indigenous flora and fauna there is almost non-existent seeing as Portuguese Zarco torched the island in 1419 - it burned for seven years and they say only one tree survived the blaze.

Fascinating wine of course too!
44 of 56  -   Report This Post

fieryjack

27th November 2019, 20:09
Congratulations Marty, it's one of those clues that you know, I could have got that, but never!!!
Cheers Kt17 for hosting, for the mentions and for you're in depth critique.
45 of 56  -   Report This Post

mattrom

27th November 2019, 20:48
Congratulations, BBM2. Thanks, KT - for setting and a detailed summation. I found the clip a fascinating glimpse of bygone times.
46 of 56  -   Report This Post

nemo

27th November 2019, 21:29
Congratulations BBM: I agree with kt's selection (against some stiff competition).

kt: your word had me scratching my head and I was impressed with the variety of clues produced by others. I enjoyed your critique and found it most useful.
47 of 56  -   Report This Post

kt17

27th November 2019, 21:30
@Mattrom, if this kind of thing interests you - as it does me - get this...

When I taught my thing was wine+history. One year an incredibly kind cohort bought me a precious bottle of 1815 vintage Madeira!

I read it up and found that when the grapes for the wine were being picked - late August of that year - Napoleon Bonaparte was on the island - he was being taken to exile in St Helena by the Brits and they were reloading in Funchal, as was the way.

I opened and shared the wine with my lovely students - it was extraordinarily good and I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it now.
48 of 56  -   Report This Post

kt17

27th November 2019, 21:31
@Nemo - Thank you! Did you get the 'runners' in the clip?
49 of 56  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

27th November 2019, 21:48
Nice, bigbad. Thanks for your thoroughness and the mention, kt.
50 of 56  -   Report This Post