CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

granama1

18th November 2019, 10:25
Well, this is embarrassing. Re kidneys, I had a 5 letter word that fits with kidneys, the singular of which is rare (according to Chambers) but the singular is 3 letters. I understand the anagram, know what the spare letter must be and can construct a word that exists (but not in Chambers 2014). It seems to exist in combination with eg blood vessels indicating 'of the kidney'.
If I'm right I think I'll take it as a signal to go and do the Azed instead!
61 of 152  -   Report This Post

quisling

18th November 2019, 10:34
Granama1, I think you are overcomplicating the clue. The 5 letter word you have is correct. The definition is "kidneys" in the plural, and Chambers indicates that the singular form is rare or obsolete. That is what "one of them rare" indicates in the clue. It's a simple or anagram of sire no(t), minus the obvious extra letter.
62 of 152  -   Report This Post

granama1

18th November 2019, 10:40
Quisling, the entry that I'm looking at has 2 'e's in it. Am I looking in the wrong place???
63 of 152  -   Report This Post

quisling

18th November 2019, 10:42
Yes, sorry you are. I misunderstood what you had. The correct answer is an anagram of siren
64 of 152  -   Report This Post

granama1

18th November 2019, 10:44
Or is this a misprint similar to the next clue?
65 of 152  -   Report This Post

granama1

18th November 2019, 11:07
Thanks Quisling. The entry that I was looking at was under renal where it says (L renalis, from renes (sing ren is rare) the kidneys). I've looked for every possible anagram and only found one that comes close....but couldn't find it in Chambers...and it's remarkably similar. I think I'll admit defeat and wait for the solution on 15squared and see what I can learn. I'm not on this level yet..I need some crossing letters!!!
66 of 152  -   Report This Post

hotelwhiskey7

18th November 2019, 12:02
g1 - you’re practically there. The siren anagram appears in C as:

plural noun (rare or obsolete in sing)
The kidneys, esp as formerly believed to be the centre of emotion
67 of 152  -   Report This Post

planks

18th November 2019, 12:08
If anyone is still there, I would appreciate a nudge for the first clue of group one. This one is certainly a toughie!
68 of 152  -   Report This Post

tonynannini

18th November 2019, 12:11
Good morning. I've struggled my way through this today and have a completed grid, more by trying things out randomly than by understanding the rubric.
I have a word for what would be 1 down which means haughty and a word for what would be 2 across meaning adorned. Is this correct, and if so, why please?
69 of 152  -   Report This Post

tonynannini

18th November 2019, 12:13
In addition, I don't understand the significance of the 3 misprints , for which I have b,b,d, in clue order ?
70 of 152  -   Report This Post