CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

quisling

16th November 2019, 20:18
In #19 I ought to have said “reflection” rather than “symmetry”. Apologies if that was misleading
21 of 152  -   Report This Post

turast

17th November 2019, 00:54
I've somehow managed to cold solve all clues and fill the grid completely, without really knowing what is going on. I have the 10 letter word for some big numbers filling most of column 1 in its normal order, and the 8 letter Scottish word for directly opposite filling the right side of row 1, but with the order reversed. My two unclued, (which seem completely unrelated) complete most of the other perimeter cells. Is this right? All I've done is fill in solutions either in the correct order or reversed. I've only spotted 2 misprints - a B for a D, and a B for a P. From the earlier posts, it looks like I'm missing something, but it just seems strange that my grid works.
22 of 152  -   Report This Post

turast

17th November 2019, 01:11
I meant to add that another reason why I am perplexed is that 18 of my entries comply with the 6 letter message from the extra letters in the group 4 clues, and have, therefore, not undergone any sort of "transformation", which can't be right.
23 of 152  -   Report This Post

drxx

17th November 2019, 03:30
If you look at how the 3 adjusted letters move you'll see what your entry system should be for the groups they're found in (if it moves in only one direction then entries are only affected in that direction - if both, then answers in that group are affected in both directions). That's why you're seeing so many normal entries in the grid (because each group has across and down clues in it). However, your overall orientation is wrong.

I think the one you're missing is in the final clue - twist it.
24 of 152  -   Report This Post

granama1

17th November 2019, 09:30
Oof! This is bringing me back down to earth after the last few weeks. Help appreciated with identifying the spare letter in 'Modest enterprise by family packing....' I'm reasonably confident I have the answer but struggling with the family bit/spare letter. Thanks.
25 of 152  -   Report This Post

drxx

17th November 2019, 11:17
Modest e...' is 3 letters (abbrev) the 'n' is extra (from the usual 3 letters for 'family'- which is returning) the altered letter gives the 'returning' signifier.
26 of 152  -   Report This Post

granama1

17th November 2019, 12:00
Ah....thanks drxx. It seems I had the relevant bits bbut was fixating on the Arbroath product (too many letters) or the more familiar word. You and Chambers got me there!
Having similar trouble with 'Strict nanny oddly....' which seems to point directly to Shakespeare and a satellite but can't make the end fit with dismissed. Am I on a tangent here too?
27 of 152  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

17th November 2019, 12:14
I an struggling also bit i used pia for dutiful to get the answer here
28 of 152  -   Report This Post

drxx

17th November 2019, 12:20
Ending with (p)IA (pious) for' dutiful' is a bit loose, granama1 - the rest is just alt letters.
29 of 152  -   Report This Post

drxx

17th November 2019, 12:23
...sorry, you obviously know the rest (too much information!).
30 of 152  -   Report This Post