CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

drxx

13th November 2019, 16:04
''one peach'' barrater - but never mind, I must leave it now.
61 of 93  -   Report This Post

drxx

13th November 2019, 16:05
barretter (sorry).
62 of 93  -   Report This Post

barretter

13th November 2019, 16:29
OK but you still have the problem that the final "t" is not pronounced.
Thanks Prospero.
63 of 93  -   Report This Post

prospero

13th November 2019, 16:47
I suppose to peach on someone could be the same as to rat on them - if we're pronouncing the t, as the websites (most of which are American) do. But then, if it's a verb, "one peach" doesn't read right. It might be "on peach" but where does the middle syllable come from? Since the setter couldn't put "a" in the clue ... all in all, if that's the parsing, it would have been neater to clue spprtr pch - to give backer-rat ...?
64 of 93  -   Report This Post

prospero

13th November 2019, 17:01
assuming we've all given up on poach, pooch, pouch - and even apache!
65 of 93  -   Report This Post

drxx

13th November 2019, 17:28
Yes, prospero, but doesn't 'game' suffer from the same nounal problem in the sense conveyed here? In my first post I said I was unsure of the accuracy required because I hadn't tackled a Genius puzzle before (I know The Listener has rules about the practice we're discussing here). Similarly, the use of capitals in another clue sacrifices the accuracy of the definition to the surface reading (the two groups in uniform) and there are rules about that too - although I'm perfectly happy to see the rules broken in a good cause.

There are umpteen possibilities in this kind of 'clue' ('Apache' in the French sense isn't a million miles away if we're looking for a 'rat' - and then 'an' can be used - but it's a very loose synonym).

The point is, if there isn't a cast-iron way of reading this sentence, then this 'clue' isn't working in the way that most of the others do. Everything written about this one so far is more or less flawed, in my opinion (as I tried to suggest from the outset, in reply to a question from you) so querying the details just adds to the confusion.

I think you're right to keep looking and I hope to see a convincing answer at some point - I'll (quietly) enjoy the moment.
66 of 93  -   Report This Post

drxx

13th November 2019, 17:44
Oh dear, I've just spotted barretter's reply -

My interpretation of the clue isn't 'sounds like' all the way through - it ends with a synonym, so the unpronounced 't' isn't an issue. But it isn't an interpretation I'm even happy with, let alone wedded to.
67 of 93  -   Report This Post

jimm89

13th November 2019, 19:02
It lends itself to a vowel with the 'n', though I realise this could be 'on'.

I'll be surprised if it's not as simple as 'back' and 'era'.
68 of 93  -   Report This Post

teenieleek

14th November 2019, 17:18
Hurrah! After days of occasional head scratching over my last one, 2 down, I got it. I had been stuck on black satin bloomers for so long the, simple when you see it, answer did make me smile.
69 of 93  -   Report This Post

drxx

15th November 2019, 12:45
jimm89 - (having slept on it) you are absolutely right!
70 of 93  -   Report This Post