CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

prospero

8th November 2019, 16:37
yes, I had thoughts of giving up too, but pleased to be of help ... I've finished all the 197 (I think correctly) - but never won the prize ... wonder if anyone on the site has?
41 of 93  -   Report This Post

buzzybee

10th November 2019, 03:57
Yep done all bar a few when had no access. Won prize years ago. Don't usually submit them now.
42 of 93  -   Report This Post

njrmsk

10th November 2019, 21:05
Finally. Only seven days to crack this. Might have been five but for capitalised Gds in 9a.
43 of 93  -   Report This Post

puzzledpom

12th November 2019, 17:17
Hi

I came late to this. Almost wish I hadn't after a couple of days of struggle. I think I've got all but one, so a bit of assistance would be appreciated.

23d I've got H*K*N*. Am I right so far?

I've run through the obvious combinations of shtng and grtng to no avail.
44 of 93  -   Report This Post

prospero

12th November 2019, 17:24
yes, your letters are right, puzzlepom. the shtng is what you probably think - the grtng involves only 2 vowels added and the first four letters of the (unreduced) solution are a word for it which I certainly had never heard ....
45 of 93  -   Report This Post

drxx

12th November 2019, 17:25
Yes, your letters are right.
I'm sure you've got the first, pretty obvious, word - the other one is a common enough word but an obscure definition that leads to a punning 2nd definition for a 'lttl grtng'.
46 of 93  -   Report This Post

puzzledpom

12th November 2019, 19:33
Thanks for the hints.

Got the answer, but I've never before come across the meaning of the first four letters.

Hardest Genius for a long while, I thought.
47 of 93  -   Report This Post

jimm89

13th November 2019, 10:19
Re 26 across, I believe the "fr th dtr" applies to the whole clue, and the pronunciation of the final two syllables (rather than the spelling) accounts for "pch".
48 of 93  -   Report This Post

drxx

13th November 2019, 11:50
jimm89 - I've spent a bit of time looking through Chambers trying various possibilities for what might sound like the last two syllables of the answer (I was especially hopeful of the weight) but can't justify any of them with 'pch' - starting with or without a vowel.
Could you please spell it out?
49 of 93  -   Report This Post

jimm89

13th November 2019, 13:40
So my understanding is this: pronunciation of the word is ba-keh-raa, which is close enough to 'back era' (support an epoch) for me to be satisfied that this is what the setter intended. I'm sure he'll correct me if wrong!
50 of 93  -   Report This Post