CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

demeter

4th August 2019, 12:42
Sorry to do this, but I'm extremely late starting on 4565, and it's driving me mad.

I've got most of the bottom half of the grid, but I just can't fit in 30 (POULENC) and 31 (INTERIM). I'm assuming that the bird in 50 is TIT, but that seems to block my placement of 31.

Could someone tell me how POULENC and INTERIM are placed?

Thanks.
51 of 80  -   Report This Post

williamseal

4th August 2019, 12:52
Thanks djawhufc

I'll have another bash.
Could you tell me which of the superflous words I'm missing in the clues? Please see my post to which you kindly replied.

Best wishes and appreciation.
52 of 80  -   Report This Post

merenz

4th August 2019, 13:00
Hi Demeter. The bird at 50 isn’t tit. It shares two letters with 49. Ape as in mimic, then drop a word meaning behind and you’re left with a 3 letter bird.

Re: POULENC... it goes down 4, left one and then down to the bottom row to finish. INTERIM goes symmetrically.

When you reach the endgame let me know how you decide to depict the image... Cass & I were debating this on the original thread and I’m still torn about which way to go.
53 of 80  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

4th August 2019, 13:00
50 is emu not tit - hence your problem.

Poulenc down 4
Across 1
Down for rest

You should be able to sort interim now.
54 of 80  -   Report This Post

demeter

4th August 2019, 13:34
Thanks so much Merenz and djawhufc.

I thought there might be something wrong with TIT! (I had TITI minus the I)
55 of 80  -   Report This Post

crates

4th August 2019, 16:03
williamseal - Not sure if anyone got back to you - I originally had 19D as the word seems superfluous - But changed to rest of your list plus 17D and 29D (19D does not feature in the end-game)
56 of 80  -   Report This Post

demeter

4th August 2019, 17:25
Merenz,

Just finished that superb puzzle.

I'm fairly sure that what's required is the connection of the 9 unclued letters only.

I don't see how that could possibly be marked wrong, even though there may be a more complex interpretation available.
57 of 80  -   Report This Post

merenz

4th August 2019, 17:56
Thanks Demeter. It was a superb puzzle indeed. I am always in awe of the setters. How do they do it?!
58 of 80  -   Report This Post

williamseal

4th August 2019, 19:36
Thanks crates
Is one of the six features a tree that starts with the square above 31?
Also can someone help parse 29a
Parrot blanket - inspiring not catty (5)
59 of 80  -   Report This Post

xwordfan

4th August 2019, 19:43
inspiring is extra
mackinaw is the blanket ...lose kin (catty)
60 of 80  -   Report This Post