CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

xwordfan

4th August 2019, 19:44
and yes to the tree starting above 31
61 of 80  -   Report This Post

murky

5th August 2019, 08:37
The thread on last week's Listener has almost doubled in length since I last visited. After reading the debate about the role of the symbols in the endgame I don't really see a problem. The unclued letters must be grouped with symbols to provide the cryptic instruction. It can be read as 'In X, Y' rather like a cryptic clue, i.e. in l/c.
For the outline the symbols must surely be ignored for the sake of symmetry. I agree that there is a technical ambiguity, but I took 'them' ("Finally, connect them...") to refer "the unclued letters" in the preceding sentence.
62 of 80  -   Report This Post

smithsax

5th August 2019, 12:44
I agree murky but for extra safety I curved the stem to take in a corner of the square containing the upper symbol and deflected the outline of the body (symmetrically) of the object to include the lower symbol.
My only quibble as I said earlier is that the word in brackets should read
(c
as
e)
when taken row by row. The letters are correct but in the wrong order.
63 of 80  -   Report This Post

williamseal

6th August 2019, 10:28
Many thanks to all who helped me this week: especially tonyannini, djawhaafc and crates. If I can check on tw item please. Is one of the six the full word starting 26 down and, if so, there is one crossing letter with 34 across. If so I'm done!
64 of 80  -   Report This Post

xwordfan

6th August 2019, 11:50
yes
65 of 80  -   Report This Post

rad

6th August 2019, 14:08
Smithsax

The words inside the brackets should be “a leaf falls”.
66 of 80  -   Report This Post

smithsax

6th August 2019, 21:27
Rad
Yes, in the original poem. In the end game the word in brackets is “case”. The brackets are within the word “lower”, leading to the instruction “in lower case”.
The letters of case are not represented by row as “a leaf falls” is in the poem.
67 of 80  -   Report This Post

patch49

7th August 2019, 15:39
Ive found 5 items to highlight, confirmed in this thread by Tonynannini on page 2, but grid staring hasn't produced the last one which must be obscure.
68 of 80  -   Report This Post

malone

7th August 2019, 15:44
Patch, the items were listed at the bottom of page 2...
69 of 80  -   Report This Post

patch49

7th August 2019, 16:04
That gives 5 and an unspecified d
70 of 80  -   Report This Post