CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

samovar

11th March 2019, 17:51
How kind of you to check it out, Malone. I must admit I was relieved when I found it, as although I've played Bridge for very many years I've never heard of that term before !
41 of 57  -   Report This Post

malone

11th March 2019, 18:19
Rrrobbo, the answer to 10 A means 'refuted' (I've just checked Chambers). If you put the lecturer in, you would have a four-letter word meaning 'to disappear'.

Samovar, thanks. I've given wrong and misleading answers before!
42 of 57  -   Report This Post

malone

11th March 2019, 18:21
Samovar, I forgot to add - I've since found the term in Chambers.
43 of 57  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

11th March 2019, 18:25
Oh. Think I have it. Bradford’s does not contain the answer for refute but I suppose I can see the animosity in the answer.
44 of 57  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

11th March 2019, 19:18
All done but I don’t understand why 10 has sh in one cell, later to become a ‘W’ and a non-existent word. I sense I a missing something.
45 of 57  -   Report This Post

williamseal

12th March 2019, 09:28
Thanks to Malone and Murky I have now completed the grid and found the instructions from the letters straddling the extra words.
This should enable me to complete 8 down and, if I combine two letters from 15 across, this leads me to a nine letter word. This is the name of a child's puzzle toy, beginning with M.
However if 14 across is what I think it is the middle letter is E.
This does not give the most common spelling of the toy.
Am I on the wrong lines?
Please put me out of my misery before I head off for my native Wales and the match.
All advice appreciated!
46 of 57  -   Report This Post

chips

12th March 2019, 10:47
Are you remembering the second part of the instruction, Williamseal?
47 of 57  -   Report This Post

williamseal

12th March 2019, 11:28
Thanks for the response Malone. The answer is no - because I couldn't understand quite what it meant. Are the capitals geographic places or letters? My guess is that I should admit defeat at this stage - with again my thanks. It was a good stretch.

48 of 57  -   Report This Post

pka1

12th March 2019, 15:29
Hello, nearly there but can't make sense of either of the contributing clues to 10d, Magician turned up…. and Renowned actress....
Any hints gratefully received, as all the others have been. Thanks.
49 of 57  -   Report This Post

schorley

12th March 2019, 16:05
Hi pka1

The magician is a spiritually-concerned one who may get into a trance ( 6 letters). Then take away " man" and reverse it ...

The actress is a British star now in her 70s who is known for her portrayals of royalty amongst other roles. Her father's nationality is appropriate to the puzzle's theme...

Great puzzle I thought.
50 of 57  -   Report This Post