CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

sunray

10th March 2019, 23:16
Thanks bobbycollins for hint on 24a.

Sorry for the late answer. Saturday was too hectic.
Today I did other puzzles before returning to Listener.

Have never heard of Fireball XL5 but got the answer. That fortune-teller is new to me that is why it took time.

31 of 57  -   Report This Post

williamseal

11th March 2019, 12:28
Greetings again from the fourth division.
I would not have been able to get very far on this one but for the help provided - so again my thanks to all concerned.
Could I ask for one immediate bit or help? Are all the numbered down clues real words which include some three letter components from the alphabetic list? So the answer for two down describes a Welsh forward with a poor disciplinary record: it is eight letters with two three letter words but not with consecutive letters. If so does this apply to all down clues - with the possible exception of 8 down?
If someone could confirm or deny (or give me an alternative pointer) I will persevere for the rest of the week before I set off to my hometown to see my nation battle for the Grand Slam.
This really is excellent mental exercise and I have come to greatly value the forum
32 of 57  -   Report This Post

williamseal

11th March 2019, 12:34
Sorry - 2 down is of course 9 letters
33 of 57  -   Report This Post

murky

11th March 2019, 13:05
Williamseal, all the numbered down entries exhibit a similar pattern. In the case of 2d there are three 3-letter components coming from the down clues that list 2 in brackets. One of the components is complete with the letters in sequence; the others are split up for reasons which hopefully become clear to you in the end.

All the answers to down clues are real words, and if longer than three letters they make two three-letter words side by side. One or two might three-letter components might need checking in Chambers to confirm they are real words.
34 of 57  -   Report This Post

malone

11th March 2019, 13:06
Williamseal, all my Down answers are real words and they're all formed from three-letter components (the components aren't always consecutive, some are inside another - Re see d, for example). Hope this helps.
35 of 57  -   Report This Post

samovar

11th March 2019, 16:14
if anyone is still there, I'd be very grateful for a hint or nudge for
23 Across (Call to limit damage etc)
and
12 Across (Group of Streptococci etd)
Thank you very much.
36 of 57  -   Report This Post

malone

11th March 2019, 16:23
12 'group of ' = contained in.

23 A term in bridge, the card game (I think!)
37 of 57  -   Report This Post

samovar

11th March 2019, 16:45
Thank you very much, Malone.
I had noticed what was "contained " in
12, but didn't recognize the indication. How stupid of me !
I do play Bridge...so might manage to get 23 now....
Thanks again.
38 of 57  -   Report This Post

malone

11th March 2019, 16:59
Glad I could help, Samovar. I've since done some research and 23 IS a term that could be used in Bridge - I had a sudden panic in case I was giving false information!
39 of 57  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

11th March 2019, 17:18
Also struggling to cross the line. Can someone explain 10 for me please? Might just be enough. Thanks.
40 of 57  -   Report This Post