CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

teenieleek

23rd April 2019, 09:06
During the most recent episode of Line of Duty we saw Hastings (Adrian Dunbar) type definately in an online message. Surely such a senior polis should be able to spell! Or if not, the script writer perhaps?
461 of 2514  -   Report This Post

hannah

23rd April 2019, 11:42
Jigjag . .

We may be sounding like the "Four Yorkshiremen", but bread and dripping was reasonably common fare when I was young . . just after the war

Other not so distant memories, are Bullock's Tongue, Cheek, Brawn, Giblets, and Pigs' Trotters . . none of which will ever make a reappearance on my dining table; with, or without champagne

Fellow pedants, I trust, will forgive my unnecessary use of capital letters, and my deliberate omissions of full-stops

462 of 2514  -   Report This Post

tyke51

23rd April 2019, 12:19
Hannah,Malone, Brendan & Jigjag ...

As the token `Yorkshireman` on the forum I did used to love bread and dripping - with copious sprinkling of salt of course! My grandma used to make huge Yorkshire Puddings in square tins on the `range` which you ate separately on a plate with onion gravy ... then you had a `proper` dinner!

I could not eat black pudding or tripe - I know a lady who supplied a local shop with brawn - the smell of it being cooked was horrible!

Thanks Jigjag & Malone for your Supermarket Tales which have entertained us so much!
463 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

23rd April 2019, 17:29
Hannah

Thanks for the information on "Tar-gut". That has given me some ideas. I also like your missing full stops at end of last sentence in a paragraph. It saves unnecessary typing as we know you have reached the end of a sentence

Tyke

I had some lovely black pudding with my breakfast (at 2pm) in Liverpool today. All my family love Yorkshire puddings and we have them with any roast, not just beef. Several pubs here serve large Yorkshire Puddings, but they are topped with meat and gravy. I have had them occasionally but they taste rather tough and not fresh. I would love to have tried your grandma's YPs.

I am glad you enjoy the Supermarket Stuff from Malone and me. I have done a few cricket ones, on similar lines, for players in the "Seniors" teams I play for. They are generally well-received. I could put one on a thread if you would like to see it.
464 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

23rd April 2019, 17:42
Hannah, all pedants … and all discerning eaters, the list of old dishes was revolting! I'm glad that those have all left us - and for good, I hope.

I think global cuisine is the way to go. This topic came up at a dinner party last weekend and proved an interesting topic. I made some new friends - Donna Kebab, Peter Bread, Sam O'Sah and Chick N Kieve (the last-named is American, and insisted on the N). Jigjag has no doubt stocked up on copious supplies of freekeh and quinoa, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind broadening his horizons.
465 of 2514  -   Report This Post

chrise

23rd April 2019, 18:45
We were staying at a remote B&B inland from Oban - so remote that we took the evening meal option. One night we were served some absolutely succulent meat, delicious but unlike anything I was familiar with. When we asked what it was, we were told "ox cheek"!

btw despite being from the West Country, I love black pudding and haggis (both always with a poached egg on top, please!)
466 of 2514  -   Report This Post

tyke51

23rd April 2019, 19:02
Jigjag,

Would love to read your cricketing thread - I think there are a few other cricket lovers on the forum too.

(BTW - Grandma`s YPuds were crispy on top !)
467 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

23rd April 2019, 19:10
ChrisE, I always recoiled from the very idea of ox cheeks - and cod cheeks seemed even worse. I then saw a dish on 'Masterchef' or 'Great British Menu' which had ox cheeks in it - and what a lovely-looking dish it was. There was a thick, shiny gravy and meat that was so tender it was failing apart with just a fork. I now feel I might enjoy it!

PS I'll be unable to comment on any cricket scenarios, sketches etc as it's a sport I've never managed to like. Sorry, jigjag!
468 of 2514  -   Report This Post

stevea6000

24th April 2019, 01:23
I was in London's East End until I was 18, and remember sometimes having bread and dripping.

To add to the list of unpleasant (to many) food: jellied eels. I don't like anything jellied, let alone something slimy like an eel.

In an Aberdeen b-and-b, an Oriental gentleman and I were the only people breakfasting. When he asked me what one item on his plate was, I played safe and pretended I didn't know, as it was black pudding and he might not have appreciated knowing its main ingredient.
469 of 2514  -   Report This Post

paul

24th April 2019, 01:46
@Steve - are you still in London? Being a veggie I have to say we are lucky here to get such a wide range of works food options that I can eat!
470 of 2514  -   Report This Post