CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

3rd February 2019, 14:28
Jigjag, thanks. Yes, I've got used to the vowels affecting pronunciation - that's cropped up in a few crosswords. I've also got used to the phantom R creeping into words such as 'drawing'. For Oar/Awe, I can't work out whether you're losing the R in Oar or putting one in Awe!
41 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

3rd February 2019, 14:30
Cockle, a very timely post!
42 of 2514  -   Report This Post

cloverjo

3rd February 2019, 15:57
Laura Norder.
43 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

3rd February 2019, 16:43
Malone

I just say "or". Nothing stressed or rolled - don't know how to describe it really.

Cleverjo

I love it - never seen it written like that!
44 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

3rd February 2019, 17:02
Malone

It is very confusing when people, who speak like I do, also drop their "aitches". My aunt is in this category, and if she were to address a group of artists who paint in sheep-farmer Hugh's tree-lined field, she might say,

"In the field where youse use hues, Hugh's ewes use yews."

...and it makes sense! "Youse" is used as the plural of "you" by some people here.

I must ask my aunt to read this aloud. I am sure it will sound great (grate?).
45 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

3rd February 2019, 17:49
Thanks for your posts, jigjag. If you're just saying 'or', I think I'd see that as you putting an 'R' in 'awe'?

I grew up with 'youse' though I seldom use (!) it now. I think it's a very efficient word - a much better, ie more explicit plural, than 'you'. Your ewes, hues etc scenario was quite entertaining!
46 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

4th February 2019, 11:06
Malone

I cant imagine you using "youse". I cringe when I hear it. I thought it was unique to these parts. I agree it is useful to have different words for the singular and plural, but I am not going back to "thou".

I must be putting an "R" in "awe". Chambers tells me not to, but I cant see how, without using the American short "O" as in "o-some" which they are very fond of.

I use my vowel in "paw" and "poor" also. Again Chambers tells me they are pronounced differently

47 of 2514  -   Report This Post

despard

4th February 2019, 12:06
Thanks for the suggestion cloverjo. So far I have managed to avoid twitter, but somehow I feel the need is creeping up on me. On the subject of "pedantry" has anyone bothered to take up Oliver Kamm who writes in the Times? He writes under the byline Pedants Corner (I think) but he is exactly the opposite of a pedant. He should write under the name of "Apologist" as he seems to find time to dig up any obscure references which can be cited to excuse bad grammar.
48 of 2514  -   Report This Post

rossim

4th February 2019, 12:29
There was a discussion on another thread a while back of FLAW and FLOOR being incorrectly used as homophones.

Oh dear, I seem to have split an infinitive!
49 of 2514  -   Report This Post

cloverjo

4th February 2019, 12:34
I'm from Somerset so I pronounce poor and floor with a distinct 'R' sound, but paw and flaw without..
50 of 2514  -   Report This Post