CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jigjag

3rd February 2019, 10:54
"One of my biggest gripes, is "gripes", or "grapes" as you pronounce it", the Cockney leader of the Greengrocers Union, Ivan Napple was telling me at his market-stall yesterday, "or should it be grape's".

"I have been working hard on my pronunciation and apostrophe's and should like to thank Elle, Malone and others for their help" he added.
31 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

3rd February 2019, 11:00
Jigjag, thanks for your moan ...moan-related post. I particularly liked Ivan Napple. He's maybe related to my good friend, Ivor Aspberay?

I think I might post this clue on every single Forum thread today. It's from the Sunday Times crossword today.

23 D. Fear the sound of a blade (3).
32 of 2514  -   Report This Post

despard

3rd February 2019, 11:15
Ah malone we are of like minds! Richard Osman wrote in his book, A-Z of Pointless, that the authorities had "shown Alexander [Armstrong] and I round the set". I wrote to him asking who they would have shown round had Alexander not been present? He did not bother to reply, needless to say. However it has always been clear to me (as pointed out by a subsequent contributor - was it chrisse?) that if you remove the attendant person, it all becomes quite clear. What is worrying is that schools no longer correct wrong grammar or misspelling and even the BBC with its 500 words competition, insists that grammar and spelling are not important.
33 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

3rd February 2019, 11:50
Thanks, despard. I'm not surprised - but am disappointed - that you didn't get a reply from Richard Osman. I try not to let my pedantry speed up the process of turning me into a grumpy old woman, but it's difficult when it comes to seeing the declines in so many areas!
34 of 2514  -   Report This Post

cloverjo

3rd February 2019, 13:01
Another 'literally'. A commentator on the cycling during one of Chris Hoy's last races. "He's literally on fire!"

Headmaster at my son's school: "The event was so busy people were literally shoe-horned into the room."
I love that image. It makes me smile even now.
35 of 2514  -   Report This Post

cloverjo

3rd February 2019, 13:08
Despard, Richard Osman uses Twitter a lot. You should tweet him about your gripe. I bet he would reply.
36 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

3rd February 2019, 13:45
Malone

Thanks. I don't know Mr Aspberay, but is he a greengrocer? I am going to the market next Saturday to see Ivan and will ask if he knows Ivor. I suspect he will and there may be more grumbles to report.

I assume the clue is a poor one!
37 of 2514  -   Report This Post

cockie

3rd February 2019, 13:48
My current (literally) gripe is "Febyoory". All who say it clearly could not bring into being a piss-up in a … byoory.
38 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

3rd February 2019, 13:54
Jigjag, Ivor has a fruit farm and supplies many local greengrocer's (…).

A few of us thought the ST clue was poor, but a Forum regular, Rosalind, pronounces the two words the same.
39 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

3rd February 2019, 14:12
Malone

Interesting re fruit farm.

I agree with Rosalind! Many words pronounced the same with our vowels.
40 of 2514  -   Report This Post