CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

elle

31st January 2019, 10:18
it should probably be "glahss" and "bahth", Leapy……
There is no "r" in it!
and I originate from Lancashire, and have always used a long "a"!
11 of 2514  -   Report This Post

rossim

31st January 2019, 20:09
I've recently noticed a local cafe advertising LOSE tea and a pub with AVACADO on its (no apostrophe!) menu.
12 of 2514  -   Report This Post

orson

1st February 2019, 09:34
On the BBC website this morning:

"About 80,000 customers switched their bank account away..."

They don't all share one account so it should be accounts. It's different rules in French, I know, but in English we say lift up your heads.

And this from The Times yesterday:

"All he painted were hundreds of studies."

It should be "was".
All I do is eat, sleep and drink. Change "is" to "are" and you can see how wrong it is.
13 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

1st February 2019, 09:51
Orson, I liked your bank account report - I enjoyed getting annoyed about the use of singular, plural stuff!

I had an irritating time earlier this week when on the phone to a Customer Services employee. He kept using 'yourself' rather than 'you' - 'I'll look for the relevant form and email it to yourself'. After three or four uses of this, I wanted to scream.
14 of 2514  -   Report This Post

rossim

1st February 2019, 10:02
You often hear or read, for example

Myself and Fred went to the park.
What's wrong with
Fred and I went to the park?
15 of 2514  -   Report This Post

orson

1st February 2019, 10:10
I'm glad and a little relieved you feel that way, malone, because after posting this morning I thought I'm starting to come over as an old grouch and a bossy know-it-all. And my comments about apostrophes yesterday were meant generally; I would never patronise you like that.

There's a section every Saturday in The Times where readers can send in their comments on what has appeared in the newspaper. Shortly before Christmas I complained about a headline (on the front page no less) which began: "All we want for Christmas are..."
Consider: "All I ask is a tall ship and the stars to steer her by."
And: "All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth."
They agreed with me.

PS - I don't write in green ink!
16 of 2514  -   Report This Post

rossim

1st February 2019, 15:25
I cringe at sports commentators who don't seem to know what an adverb is.
eg He hit that black ball a bit thick.
17 of 2514  -   Report This Post

chrise

1st February 2019, 15:35
You done good there, rossim....
18 of 2514  -   Report This Post

stevea6000

1st February 2019, 16:24
Malone/rossim - agreed on that annoying use of "yourself". And, noting rossim's point about "... and I", I'll add to the aaargh list its misuse. There are many people who think "...and me" is never correct, and use "... and I" even when the grammar demands "... and me".
19 of 2514  -   Report This Post

stevea6000

1st February 2019, 16:27
And adverbs ... Those "Kiss me quick" hats have a lot to answer for.
20 of 2514  -   Report This Post