CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

drxx

1st December 2018, 23:15
meursault - I'm struggling with this too. I have eleven more to solve (including one of the 5 letter across answers) I've got VYING for the last one.
Let me know if I can help with any others.
21 of 188  -   Report This Post

buzzb

2nd December 2018, 04:05
Actually, bananabean, it's only 12 combinations, 4 for the 1st 8 and 3 for the 2nd, since one got used already.
22 of 188  -   Report This Post

buzzb

2nd December 2018, 04:41
However, even if you know both 8-letter across answers, all four 5-letter across answers and both 12-letter down answers, and try all 12 combinations of 8,5 + 5,8 rows and all 36 ways to do the 12-letter entries, you will find that there is no way to do it so that the two across rows and two down columns agree unless the two across rows miss the 12-letter entries completely.
23 of 188  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

2nd December 2018, 09:07
Sorry if you felt I was being unhelpful Meursault, I was trying to tread the line between saying nothing and laying it out on a plate. My suggestion about the 4 5-letter answers was intended to be helpful, given that we know the grid has 180 symmetry - it does however make the assumption that you have the answers to those clues and the 12's. If you do, then it is just a matter of finding a combination of matching intersects. With those in place, I found you could then start building on those 12 and 5 letter words - that is all that I did.

To add to my earlier hint (and touching on what Buzzb mentioned), my first attempt was to pair the 2 across 8's with the 12's, but this led nowhere. I can confirm that they do not intersect if that helps.

I'll get my coat now ...
24 of 188  -   Report This Post

planks

2nd December 2018, 09:27
this one is certainly a struggle. Perhaps I'll be able to finish it on the 14 hour flight to Singapore I'm preparing for. Before I go, I wouldn't mind a hint (not the answer please) for the Regally sufficient across clue.

Generally I feel these threads get the balance between hinting and direct help about right, the amount of more direct help increasing as the days go by. It was a surprise to see answers being given before some people would have had a chance to look at the puzzle but, as somebody pointed out, if you don't want to know - don't look.
25 of 188  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

2nd December 2018, 09:41
Morning Pat, likely misprint stands out a mile, there's two indicators in the clue indicative of reverse entry, if you ignore them you should see what you put around what before reversing. Although the answer is a common enough word I hadn't realised it had that meaning until I checked the BRB. Mind the BRB might bite into your cabin allowance .... ! Enjoy your flight.
26 of 188  -   Report This Post

meursault

2nd December 2018, 09:50
Thanks Drxx, I'm still working on the other one, which must begin in the range EM to ET inclusive. Epona was a goddess in Rome, but I can't make it fit the rest of the clue. Erato is another possibility, though not Roman.
27 of 188  -   Report This Post

planks

2nd December 2018, 09:53
Thanks Steve, I'll take another look, luckily I have all the necessary volumes on my iPad!
28 of 188  -   Report This Post

meursault

2nd December 2018, 09:55
No problem, S_Pugh. The comment wasn't directed at you specifically. For puzzles such as this that seem to frustrate quite a few people with the amount of cold-solving required, it's perhaps a good thing if the forum provides more help. Also I thought it worth mentioning that other forum members have been remarking on the lack of help recently.
29 of 188  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

2nd December 2018, 10:06
Forget Rome Meursault, misprint lies elsewhere, you're on right track.
30 of 188  -   Report This Post