CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

hidunc

31st March 2013, 13:04
Re 67 you sound as if you're toeing the line.
90: ... think of kinda poetic synonyms - for the hair, that is. The term for a soldier is more straightforward - or it would be, the other way around.
There's no such thing as an easy question, and I guess it's worth bearing in mind that the setter probably wasn't 100% happy with all of his questions!
200 of 320  -   Report This Post

winnie

31st March 2013, 18:23
Hi twinsnan- don't know if you have solved 67 & 90 yet
67. is t----r. Look under alternative spelling of 'touse' in Chambers for information re this dog
90 Hair = tress with
Soldier = american soldier inserted.
Hope this helps.

201 of 320  -   Report This Post

twinsnan

31st March 2013, 20:46
Winnie....I have now, thanks to you!! I knew they were probably 2 of the most obvious ones but as we always say, what is obvious to some is not to others. Anyway, thank you so much. Can now continue packing and wrapping for my house move. Yuk! See you all next time.
202 of 320  -   Report This Post

twinsnan

31st March 2013, 20:50
Also thanks to hidunc for the clues.....as you say, there is no such thing as an easy question, that's what makes these quizzes infuriating but addictive.
203 of 320  -   Report This Post

haeremai18

1st April 2013, 19:30
Have managed quite a few but not able to solve others despite clues. Any help would be appreciated please & thanks. The ones I still need to get are.
1. Saw Rover getting at the dessert. (7,3) Clue: Another word for SAW
3. Dog very good about being put on a new lead. (8) - no clues
8. Chef, Rob, is cooking within - and has a white coat. (6,5) no clues
9. Girl in a tale about a fool. (6) no clues 10. Indolent artist only comes out in fine weather. (4,7) Clue: alternative words for INDOLENT (idle/lazy/slow) & ARTIST (painter) ???
15. It has to run fast to beat the favourite. (7) Clues: Alternative words for BEAT ( ) & FAVOURITE ( )
18. R for Rottweiler? (3,6) Clues: Look in dictionary at very beginning of R words?
19. Strike from a tiger? (7) Clues: Alternative word for STRIKE (not hit – stop?), not species of type rather description
23. Women get assistance from a young man. (5) Clue: Other word for WOMEN + assistance ??? Lady ….. Aid ???
37. Contemptible scoundrels start to harass or unduly nag, disturbing someone. (6) no clues
40. Proficient Sherpas are given scrambled bird's egg with tea. (5,6) Clues: Anagram of BIRDSEGGTEA –searched in different sites but no luck ???
43. Boot forked in garden by mysterious, dark man with hod? A curious incident. (10) no clues
44. Subject of film seen in cinemas leaping backwards for joy! (4) no clues
47. Beat back a speechless actor often out on the pull ..... (8) Clues: Another word for SPEECHLESS = DUMB? ??????
61. Camera came out to get revolutionary hunter who uses scent ..(5) Clues: Take CAME out of Camera = RA + hunter???
63. A pool for the cat. (5) no clues
64. Limited space in a car owing to Tom's movement. (4,2,5,1,3) no clues
69. Miss Woodhouse pursued the sheep back to the seaside marshland. (7) Clues: Anagram of BARBARA + RAM (too many letters) BABS? + RAM (???)
81. I have gone into Connecticut to meet the perfume producer. (5) no clues
92. ..... but elderly Tony, due more change, was blessed. (3,11) no clues
94. Animals that caused an argument during church service. (8) no clues
97. Cats, many get noisier, so we're told. (7) no clues
98. Domestic creature with nothing apart from dressing-gown. (5,3) no clues
204 of 320  -   Report This Post

haeremai18

1st April 2013, 21:29
Have worked out No 97. Does No.94 begin with L and end with S ?
205 of 320  -   Report This Post

willisanne

1st April 2013, 22:30
I've just found a way to resolve my doubts about clue 28. Kennelmaid seemed suspect because all the other answers are either names of dogs or cats, or phrases containing the words dog or cat. However, "kennel" has another meaning apart from the obvious. It can be "a pack of dogs, especially hounds" Any comments?
206 of 320  -   Report This Post

winnie

1st April 2013, 22:48
Hi haeremai18
You are really struggling - here is some help with page one.
1. saw = spotted
3. Vert good = ai, about = re + anagram of lead
8. Anagram of chef rob is + in (at end of within)
9. tale = lie, fool = ass - in middle of lie
10. lazy + painter
15. beat = whip, favourite = pet
18. Do as you say
19.strike = type of strike from work
23. women = w, assistence = help.
Have you got a Chambers Dictionary edition 10?
This is really very helpful. Hope this helps you anyway
207 of 320  -   Report This Post

winnie

1st April 2013, 23:04
Hi willisanne.
re 28 kennelmaid. What you say is very good because if I have got it right..... 12. A cold owner composed this song of the saxifrage ...is 'London Pride' which is the collective name for a group of lions. So 'kennel' could be serving a similar purpose.
Does this help to convince you ?

208 of 320  -   Report This Post

haeremai18

2nd April 2013, 08:55
Hi Winnie. Thanks for your help. Off to work now so will look later. No don't have a Chambers 10 th Edition. Have searched high and low for one and can't find it. Any idea where I can get one? I see the 11th edition in the shops but they cost megabucks!!!!
209 of 320  -   Report This Post