CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

 

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jvector

10th October 2026, 15:21
Yep, 7/8 was great once the penny dropped. I was initially nonplussed by the positioning of 7,8 and of 20,21 which made it hard to get the crossers to break in to those corners.

I was about to ask about 23a and 14d but just got what they are doing.

I do still have problems:
20/21 : I get what he's up to and have a confident 21 but can't see a 20 that works.
No idea about 22a.
31 of 44  -   Report This Post

chrise

10th October 2026, 15:29
21d describes what has been done to 20d.

22a "state" is a verb
32 of 44  -   Report This Post

jvector

10th October 2026, 15:49
Cheers chrise, I was looking for the wrong kind of state and had the logic of 20/21 backwards. Very nice clue.
33 of 44  -   Report This Post

jvector

10th October 2026, 15:51
... and that 'protected' and its ilk are often tricky to see which way round they are working.
34 of 44  -   Report This Post

kawhi

10th October 2026, 18:29
Much fun today. Loved the &lit. clues and the generally clever wordplay (much of which only became apparent after the clue was entered). But I also don’t mind the gentler prizes…

Many thanks Philistine.
35 of 44  -   Report This Post

roof

10th October 2026, 18:32
Well what a pleasure an easy crossword for a change. I've not been feeling well (a bad and lingering cold), so it was good to sit down to a crossword I could solve in good time for me.

There are three I can't fully parse: 17ac, where does the back and forth come in? 4ac and inevitably 7/8d. I've looked at the hints above, but am still in the dark. I got the latter straight away, but simply cannot see the chemistry or the Roman numerals in any meaningful way.

I had to check out clay ovens to get 13d, which I took to be a simple anagram with a missing letter.

My FOI was 6ac which I thought was very clever; LOI 4ac and my CODs are 22ac, 10ac and 6ac. I suspect I would add in 7/8d if I could find the cunning parse.
36 of 44  -   Report This Post

jono

10th October 2026, 18:47
Hi Roof,
17a parses 2,5 as two terms for “say”, one read backwards and one read forward.
For 7/8 think of the “five” as IV inside Fe.
4a is 4,2 the four comes before ‘flipping’ and the two are outside letters.
37 of 44  -   Report This Post

jono

10th October 2026, 18:49
..I should have said the four comes after flipping in an expression of annoyance!
38 of 44  -   Report This Post

roof

10th October 2026, 19:03
Thanks Jono

Now I see 7/8d - what a convoluted clue, very clever. I still don't get 4ac, but never mind.
39 of 44  -   Report This Post

chrise

10th October 2026, 19:08
Hi roof
"Lucrative lacking content" gives the last two letters. I'm not enamoured of the first four, but "flipping ****" is quite a common expression.
40 of 44  -   Report This Post