CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

roof

23rd March 2024, 18:22
Thanks Chris - you've put me off. No wonder I can't get them.

Still puzzled. I should have said that I have R????? B?A? for 15d and just the first letter, R for 22d

A hint for 7d might help as well I have ?P?R?I?? At least I have a vague memory of the dog in 12ac, though I don't remember seeing any TV programmes with my daughter.
71 of 93  -   Report This Post

chrise

23rd March 2024, 18:24
7d is one of the good ones. it's a reversed hidden
72 of 93  -   Report This Post

roof

23rd March 2024, 18:54
Thanks Chris

I'd just got this one, without spotting the reversed hidden. I managed to get 23d as well. Nothing to do with Greek myths, but I'm very familiar with this group of three - my heroes.

I've had a go at 22ac and 16d, but I'm not sure of either. They both end with K. Is that right?
73 of 93  -   Report This Post

chrise

23rd March 2024, 19:15
yes, K, but 16 is at least doubly wrong.
74 of 93  -   Report This Post

jono

23rd March 2024, 19:19
Hi Roof,
Yes re the K.
22a is 3 letters chased, 4 letters fire, def harry (verb - not the name)
We all had problems with 16. Def is steal as in sneak/lurk. Some bones with a change to the last letter.
75 of 93  -   Report This Post

rocky7

23rd March 2024, 20:31
Came to this late today. Overall I enjoyed it as there were some good clues. No idea about the theme. Some clues like 12a took ages to parse. 16d I'm still not really across.

Thanks Soup. COD 14a.
76 of 93  -   Report This Post

roof

23rd March 2024, 20:49
Thanks Jono and Chris

I've managed to finish, though I have doubts about some.

I like many of you I thought 16d was decidely odd. It wasn't helped by me not knowing 20ac (I'm a vegetarian and not familiar with steaks).

I agree with Chris that a number of the clues were off - for example where does the G come from in 4d, I don't like the first three letters of 20ac for Bob. I'm not happy with the parsing for 22d. I didn't like 19ac - not a viper and kickbox needed splitting. It took me ages to see why my answer to 15d was right. On top of which I didn't know the theme! I think Soup, who is new to me, will become another of my bete noires.

My FOI was 21ac (thank goodness for all the anagrams), my LOI was 16d, though I'd thought of it earlier. My CODs were 18d (though what did "top of the net" have to do with it?)
77 of 93  -   Report This Post

jono

23rd March 2024, 20:58
Roof,
The G in 4d comes from leG-end.
Kickbox doesn’t need splitting but “A then A” does!

But don’t worry, I expect we have a Maskarade jumbo Easter special to look forward to next weekend!
78 of 93  -   Report This Post

jennaralissima

23rd March 2024, 22:27
roof, if you're still stuck on 15D, think of an aircraft company that's been in the news and think of what you might have done before sending the letter.
Yorkshire is divided into a small number of parts called....

I'm still stuck on 23D... still pondering so no hints asked for yet.
79 of 93  -   Report This Post

dhope

23rd March 2024, 23:20
Think of famous three made up of a then three letter farm animal plus two letter word from clue.
Agree with many of comments , have never watched the theme and don’t intend to! However it is possible without knowing anything about it. Except that I’m stuck on last four in SW corner.
Looking forward to Easter prize !
80 of 93  -   Report This Post