CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rogissimo

23rd March 2024, 01:06
A lovely thematic offering from Soup. I wonder how many solvers will get the theme (few if any outside the UK, I imagine), but I think it’s perfectly solvable without.
FOI the gimme way in at 24d. LOI 16d, and I’m still not sure that I understand the parsing, assuming I’ve got it right (the last 5 words don’t quite work for me).
COD the very clever and amusingly thematic 19a
1 of 93  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

23rd March 2024, 01:18
I’ve now worked out what’s going on with 16d. I think I like it, but would be interested to know what others think.
2 of 93  -   Report This Post

geeker

23rd March 2024, 01:39
No comment on that clue yet. This unusual Prize seems a mix, featuring quite a few extremely easy clues but several almost impenetrable ones. I *nearly* finished in short order, but am hung up on the crossing 14 and 16.
3 of 93  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

23rd March 2024, 01:47
Morning (evening?) geeker.
14: the first three words form the definition, the fodder being quite straightforward (or backward, for the first three letters).
16: the first word is the definition. You need to use your head for the fodder 😉
I’m now not sure that I understand 22, though the solution is clear enough. It’s the ‘worked’ that I’m slightly struggling with.
4 of 93  -   Report This Post

plutocrat

23rd March 2024, 01:55
For 22 I was thinking in the sense of clothing.

Big forehead slap when I finally saw 14!
5 of 93  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

23rd March 2024, 02:01
Thanks, plutocrat: that was what I was thinking too. I guess it works, but it’s not a usage that I’m familiar with.
14 is a lovely PDM-type clue, I think.
6 of 93  -   Report This Post

darla

23rd March 2024, 03:11
I found this one a bit more difficult than usual, but enjoyably so. A nice challenge, with many tricky, but clever clues. I just now worked out 19a as I was writing, but like geeker I don't yet see the parsing of 16d. I mean I get the drift of your hint, rogissimo, but still having trouble seeing how the last letter works. But don't tell me. Other tricky clues were 4, which I think Jono will like, 17, 23, and the aforementioned 19a. My COD is the elegant 1d.
7 of 93  -   Report This Post

jono

23rd March 2024, 07:31
Good fun I thought. I recognised the theme without any real knowledge of it, but note now that the first part of the clue for 27 is a statement of fact.

Had exactly the same experience as others with LOI being 16. Concluded (perhaps incorrectly) that 22d was a triple definition, depends if you read the last three words as one, or in two parts.

Darla, thanks, yes indeed, makes a change from midnight. It’s on the list.
8 of 93  -   Report This Post

buzzybee

23rd March 2024, 07:57
I also struggled for some time with 16d. I think it goes like this. First word is definition, next three provide a word that must be modified before entry, and the last few indicate how that modification is made.
9 of 93  -   Report This Post

chrise

23rd March 2024, 08:01
rogissimo
You say that knowledge of the theme isn't necessary, but then you refer to a thematic answer. I know absolutely nothing about this theme - would I be wasting my time continuing?
10 of 93  -   Report This Post