CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

quiztime

6th January 2024, 15:12
Jazzgirl the posting guidelines say do not post another thread if there is already one on the first page and the other 2 aren't Are you saying that isn't what it means
41 of 74  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

6th January 2024, 15:21
@quiztime I agree with that guideline. As all three were started by you, it would have been better had you added more questions to your original thread .
By entering " goodworrh " in the search box easily found
42 of 74  -   Report This Post

chrise

6th January 2024, 16:12
Quiztime
The idea is to avoid duplicating threads. The "if there is already one on the first page" is for new posters on a puzzle, so that they don't need to search back through more pages. However if you yourself have posted on the puzzle, you know that there is an existing thread that you could add your new question to.
43 of 74  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

6th January 2024, 16:22
Chris
The guidelines also say "3 questions per quiz" but by duplicating threads the same poster can post 3 questions per thread !
Cheeky eh ? šŸ˜€
44 of 74  -   Report This Post

yorkshirebob

6th January 2024, 19:06
Can anyone put me out of my misery with Mended? Only Decimated. I assume it has a link to the one above but cant see it at the moment
45 of 74  -   Report This Post

quisling

6th January 2024, 22:22
Do you have a letter count? What was the one above? The more information you give, the better your chance of a reply. Most of the people who help on here donā€™t actually do the quiz, but there are some adept solvers out there
46 of 74  -   Report This Post

yorkshirebob

6th January 2024, 22:44
Quisling,

Thank you for getting back to me.

No letter count - the cryptic clue should lead you to a well known proverb?

The one before was 'Leased, so no set' - which I think is - Least said soonest mended.

I have just assumed that as 'mended' is then part of the next clue it has some relevance to the one before

yorkshire bob
47 of 74  -   Report This Post

quisling

6th January 2024, 22:53
Thanks yorkshirebob, thatā€™s really helpful. My first thought is ā€œA stitch in time saves nineā€.

Itā€™s on the mending theme, and even though ā€œdecimateā€ originally meant to remove one tenth of, it has passed into parlance as to remove nine-tenths of. But Iā€™ll sleep on it and see if others have better ideas
48 of 74  -   Report This Post

quisling

6th January 2024, 23:00
Actually, one might argue that in ā€œdecimatingā€ a mutinous Roman legion they saved the other 90%, so I think Iā€™m happy with it
49 of 74  -   Report This Post

yorkshirebob

7th January 2024, 11:50
Quisling, Many thanks for your response, much appreciated. I had toyed with that but could not get a logical explanation. I was on the wrong track.

I have another couple if you fancy a challenge.

Two words C/H or H/C
5,10 letters. Clue is Bill paid, but no go from here.
8,10 letters. Clue is Sellars improvements

Regards

Yorkshirebob
50 of 74  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » Goodworth