CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

quiztime

5th January 2024, 21:51
Quisling I am so sorry I hadn't realised I hadn't so I get why you don't want to tell me I just wondered how you were going to tell one person and not another.
21 of 74  -   Report This Post

tyke51

5th January 2024, 23:18
Quisling - it's the 'fly' connection I can't fathom!
22 of 74  -   Report This Post

quisling

5th January 2024, 23:33
Tyke51, quite understandable. That perplexed me for a long time. It’s a direct literary quote, though not in ODQ. Do you remember the old game of Mastermind, where you had to guess an unknown sequence? In this case, your second word would have four blacks
23 of 74  -   Report This Post

geting

6th January 2024, 06:52
Ah, I think I've got it Quisling. Would the number 12 be relevant?
24 of 74  -   Report This Post

quisling

6th January 2024, 12:28
Not sure, geting. But you’ll know if you have it, as the reference is clear
25 of 74  -   Report This Post

quisling

6th January 2024, 12:31
Thank you for the apology, quiztime, it must have been an oversight. I don't have the quiz, so I don't know if there is any guidance as to what help may be sought. But in the absence of that I note that the setter of the quiz, Stephen Graham (brother of Araucaria), said this an interview:

"I take joy in the fact that participants “can’t just go to the internet and look up the answer.”"

Nevertheless, it's for charity, and the prizes are apparently small. I hope anyone who wins a prize as a result of help received on here does donate it to charity
26 of 74  -   Report This Post

hvonk

6th January 2024, 12:32
Quisling your hints are greatly appreciated Is it really 4 blacks (right letter right position)? It’s driving me crazy.
27 of 74  -   Report This Post

quisling

6th January 2024, 12:40
Yes, hvonk. It’s nothing to do with a card game, or birds. And the first word contains an apostrophe.

Gandolf34, you don’t need to cast your net wider than you have already. I think that ought to get you all there
28 of 74  -   Report This Post

jono

6th January 2024, 12:47
Got it, thanks Quisling (not that I’m doing the quiz, I just like to understand these things. The quote is quite deep into the work).
29 of 74  -   Report This Post

quisling

6th January 2024, 12:50
Nor am I, Jono. I’m the same!
30 of 74  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » Goodworth