CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

 

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

geeker

19th August 2026, 00:17
Indy 12,437 (Mog) has a chess theme: 27,28 and seven other across clues.
391 of 399  -   Report This Post

geeker

25th August 2026, 15:30
Indy 12,443 (Umpire):

Command doctor to check king's file before operation's conclusion (5)

Not a stellar clue but I enjoy the "king's file" part.
392 of 399  -   Report This Post

geeker

22nd September 2026, 02:12
Guardian 30,118 (Boatman) seems to have a chess theme.
393 of 399  -   Report This Post

jono

22nd September 2026, 08:47
Indeed and quite subtly woven. Rather clever I thought.
394 of 399  -   Report This Post

jono

22nd September 2026, 12:08
I noted that the first three letters of 18d could have been clued thematically ;-)
395 of 399  -   Report This Post

geeker

22nd September 2026, 16:27
Good point, jono! I missed that when solving.
This was an outstanding puzzle on the (not so unusual) theme. Perhaps published because the Chess Olympiad is about halfway through.
Many thanks to Boatman. I particularly liked the 3-letter "dance".
396 of 399  -   Report This Post

jono

22nd September 2026, 16:41
You’ll see on 225 I had a little exchange with Boatman re the Tal reference… me @5 and then @45-47.

I agree, the “dance” clue was also my favourite.
397 of 399  -   Report This Post

geeker

28th September 2026, 20:19
Here's a spectacular win by Wei Yi from the recent Olympiad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFyoROLP_pU

Wei Yi's "immortal game" from 2015 also featured a quiet move.

https://www.chess.com/blog/SamCopeland/wei-yis-quiet-move-immortal-top-10-of-the-2010s-wei-yi-vs-bruzon-2015

The combinations with quiet moves remind me of Albin Planinc*, an enigmatic lesser-known player who authored many masterpieces.

For instance https://www.chess.com/article/view/careful-planinc

*and of course Polugaevsky-Nezhmetdinov, Sochi 1958, which is often eulogized
https://www.chess.com/blog/SamCopeland/nezhmetdinovs-most-beautiful-chess-game-best-of-the-50s-polugaevsky-vs-nezhmetdinov
398 of 399  -   Report This Post

bacchanal

30th September 2026, 03:55
Thanks, geeker. Brilliant chess.
399 of 399  -   Report This Post