CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

geeker

27th May 2023, 01:03
Thanks to Prize regular Paul for this week's challenge.

I found this very tough, well above median level of difficulty but not quite in the outright "beast" category.
Thematic with many linked clues (the latter a Paul trademark), but the theme seemed to be expressed in a circular manner and I despaired of figuring it out. Free association on possible solutions to 26 finally cracked it. There are also (IMO of course) some complex parsings (another Paul trademark) and tricky double definitions. No naughty "Pauline" entries stand out.

Waiting for PDM on 29 parsing but confident in the solution.

FOI 12.
LOI 18, which may hold up Americans, for instance.
COD 15 over 19, 11 and 21.

Curious how others found this. I often struggle with Prizes that many consider less than tough.
1 of 89  -   Report This Post

paulnz

27th May 2023, 02:36
Cheers Geeker. For 29 I think you have to run "that's" and the solution quickly together. I suspect a similar treatment for 26, but as a Kiwi I'm not well placed to guess how Paul hears Australian. I still haven't cracked the infinite loop.
2 of 89  -   Report This Post

geeker

27th May 2023, 02:57
Thanks, paulnz. You mean 25 rather than 26, right? I'm quite sure that's an Australian homophone. Although my experience is only based on old Paul Hogan TV shows...
3 of 89  -   Report This Post

geeker

27th May 2023, 03:07
I think that if you can get 18 (esp. for USA solvers) or 26 (esp. for UK solvers) and apply some GK, the 2-word theme will become apparent.
4 of 89  -   Report This Post

geeker

27th May 2023, 03:08
Apologies, one of my frequent typos...I meant 11 rather than 18 for the theme hint.
5 of 89  -   Report This Post

brendan

27th May 2023, 03:50
Wow! What a struggle that was.

As Geeker suggested, the themed clues are very circular making them very difficult to work out.

FOI was 24a which I recommend as a good way in.

There are a few homophone clues that I suspect will spark some lively debate.

I haven't been able to parse 11a - I know the answer and connection to the theme but I just can't fit the pieces together.

COD - A three-way tie this week with 18d, 14a and 16a

Thanks to Paul for a very challenging but rewarding crossword.

Fun fact:- I once auditioned to be part of 26a backing group for one of their tours - 9d I didn't get the gig 😉😀

Has anyone else got theme related embarrassing stories - let us know in the comments.

Stay safe:-)

Stay safe:-)
6 of 89  -   Report This Post

geeker

27th May 2023, 03:54
Hi Brendan,
11 parses as 6 (syn. of first 2 words of clue) followed by 4 (a 5-letter word with a letter removed).
7 of 89  -   Report This Post

brendan

27th May 2023, 03:58
Thanks Geeker,

I had thought that but Google said the 6 was Greek not Egyptian but, after reading your post, I checked again and there is indeed a 6 in Egypt.
8 of 89  -   Report This Post

geeker

27th May 2023, 03:59
I had the very same reaction to the first 6 letters of 11! 🤣
9 of 89  -   Report This Post

rainman

27th May 2023, 04:15
I nearly decided not to bother when I saw how many circular references there were, my least favourite Pauline trick. I agree with Geeker that 26a is a good way in to the theme, although I have to say I'm disappointed that only two of the answers refer to it unless I've missed any. There is one other 10,27 alluded to in a clue, as well as a famous 10 (in the UK at least), but I expected more of a reward than that. I also agree with Brendan that the homophones were pretty dubious, particularly 29a. This was one of the toughest Pauline puzzles I've seen.
10 of 89  -   Report This Post