CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

9th December 2022, 15:21
The Clues
Requests for help should normally include the clue itself, the number of letters in the answer, and details of any you already have. Any special instructions or addiitonal information should also be included.
HINTS only, please, no answers.

The Theme
Requests for help towards the theme can also be made here. 'Gentle nudges' is hard to define,of course, but Forum members seem to manage! Aim to help with a nudge in the right direction, DON'T divulge anything that would spoil the puzzle for other solvers. The theme itself should not be revealed.

Early finishers should avoid any references, jocular or otherwise, to the theme.

The Listener is a unique puzzle and should be treated with respect.

This is early this week as I am very busy this afternoon. It's a while yet before most of us even see the puzzle.

1 of 59  -   Report This Post

simplesimon

9th December 2022, 18:05

Nice one Pointer. Thank you.
Regular visitor once in RAF days. Must go again.
2 of 59  -   Report This Post

bobbycollins

9th December 2022, 18:28
You obviously weren't watching the footy, simplesimon!😮
3 of 59  -   Report This Post

simplesimon

9th December 2022, 18:53
Bobbycollins- definitely not. Used to follow the beautiful game but too much money in it nowadays. Just seen the score though! I’ve actually drawn England in our bowls sweepstake 🤞
4 of 59  -   Report This Post

bobbycollins

9th December 2022, 22:18
Bon chance! Just started the puzzle after a thrilling Holland v Argentina game😄
5 of 59  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

10th December 2022, 01:06
Thank you, Pointer. A location worthy of a place in the Listener! Began the gridfill once it appeared online then went out to dinner and on to Chris Hampson’s “Snow Queen” (well worth the revival - do see it if you can). Completed the puzzle over a dram on our return. Now that’s what I call a Friday evening!
6 of 59  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

10th December 2022, 01:25
And, I should have added, an extra plaudit to Pointer for the positioning of 17d. Great stuff!
7 of 59  -   Report This Post

foinaven

10th December 2022, 08:56
Gridfill complete, but I struggle to understand the concept of a line as defined by Listener setters. Is a line straight? (Paul Klee took a line for a walk, so not necessarily!) Is something a line if it is composed of a (finite) number of straight line segments?

Sorry, I am a geometer so I am perverse about these issues.
8 of 59  -   Report This Post

pootle

10th December 2022, 09:55
@foinaven - I was unsure about the lines until i thought about how they could divide the map into three regions. It seemed straightforward with hindsight. The resulting map meant nothing to me though.
9 of 59  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

10th December 2022, 10:03
Foinaven, I think the key words in the preamble are “row by row”. Hence a sequence of (you will be happy to know, straight) lines.
10 of 59  -   Report This Post