CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

crowdedmorning

12th December 2022, 17:42
Sorry, I meant to say "clues" rather than "cells"—I have 9 clues with extra letters, which is the number specified by the preamble.

I'm actually not sure where my potential issue is, although I've just realised I never actually solved the wordplay for 16ac and that might be relevant, although if so, it would mean I have one extra letter too many...
41 of 59  -   Report This Post

crowdedmorning

12th December 2022, 17:58
Right, and after reading back through the thread a bit and seeing Jordan's nudge, I now have too many extra letters, which means I've mis-parsed something else.
42 of 59  -   Report This Post

allbarone

12th December 2022, 22:05
Hi

I have the theme and the nine letters. I'm stuck only on the uncrossed letter for 8ac.

My most likely contender for the answer evokes maps and a literary motif. I'm not convinced however....
43 of 59  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

12th December 2022, 22:08
No, the definition is the first two words.
44 of 59  -   Report This Post

allbarone

12th December 2022, 22:18
Ah! Got it thank you. I guess I need to look at my nine again....
45 of 59  -   Report This Post

umanna

14th December 2022, 21:14
Could someone please give me a nudge for the parsing of 23a? I suspect I'm missing something obvious.
46 of 59  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

14th December 2022, 22:59
Def is first 2 words. Last letter omitted from wordplay.
47 of 59  -   Report This Post

mooncow

15th December 2022, 04:15
Delightful puzzle this one, and kudos to Pointer for some lovely clues and for the placement of all the parts in the finished grid. I was a bit unconvinced by the map at first, even for a rough one, but by the time the lines were drawn and the shading done it started to look like the Google Maps image of the place :-)

Yes, "draw a loop around" sounded a little odd to me too, but with all the lines and shading that we've done by then the other ways of highlighting a word or phrase had kind of been used up, so I guess it's fair enough. I extended the ends of my lines to the edges of the grid in the nearest/shortest way, and it seemed to look ok so I hope that's what was wanted. I do agree with those who feel that the penultimate sentence is a little thin by way of a hint that some cells contain extra letters -- I got there, but found that a bit of an obstacle (and not an ingenious-clue-cracking obstacle but an irritating-vague-preamble-second-guessing obstacle, which is not my favourite kind). But apart from that minor issue, a lovely clever puzzle -- one of my favourites of the year I think. And I'd really love to go there and do the indicated thing... (if that's allowed!) (and perhaps in warmer weather!!)
48 of 59  -   Report This Post

lumen

15th December 2022, 08:20
I am missing one omitted letter. In a down I think.
Can't parse 6d Milton undying one, so hopefully its that one?
49 of 59  -   Report This Post

brendan

15th December 2022, 08:48
Hi Lumen,

6d - 3 letter "friend" goes around both "a" + 4 letter "lively tune" - yes, there is an unclued letter.
50 of 59  -   Report This Post