CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

16th December 2022, 05:20
Was my reply any help Lumen?
51 of 59  -   Report This Post

lumen

16th December 2022, 16:41
Yes thanks Brendan sorry.
I'd already finished really. Always good to tidy up and understand everything!
52 of 59  -   Report This Post

brendan

16th December 2022, 17:06
No problem Lumen, glad you got it all done. I struggled at the start with this one and was pleased and not a little surprised that I managed to finish:-)
53 of 59  -   Report This Post

jif73

20th December 2022, 20:37
Given the Christmas post and PO strikes delays, I think I've left it a bit late to put this one to bed and submit an entry.
At the moment I have 10 omitted letters, rather than 9. I suspect the culprit is 26ac as I can't properly parse the answer I have.
Will some kind soul please put me out of my misery (compounded by just having tested positive for COVID-19, despite having received a full complement of jabs...
54 of 59  -   Report This Post

quisling

20th December 2022, 20:53
No omitted letter in 26a, jif73. One letter from the inside of Aga, plus a four letter word for outside, skin. Mill is definition.

There are 5 omitted in the acrosses (clue numbers sum to 73), and 4 in the downs (clue numbers sum to 32)

Get well soon!
55 of 59  -   Report This Post

jif73

20th December 2022, 21:23
Thanks, quisling.
I worked out the parsing a short while after posting – always the way! I had chosen the wrong vowel.
Now I'm not clear how to draw the lines "row by row", since we have established that there are only 5 unclued letters in across clues.
Designating them a to e, do I put a line thru a and b, then another thru b and c, etcetera?
After doing this there are already more than three areas!
56 of 59  -   Report This Post

quisling

20th December 2022, 21:30
Yes, you do that. From grid edge of a to b, b to c, c to d, d to grid edge of e splits off one area. Likewise for the other four divides the other two. If that doesn’t work check your clue sums tally with what I gave.
57 of 59  -   Report This Post

jif73

20th December 2022, 23:18
Thanks again, mate!
I was extending each straight line to the edges of the grid, not the first and last. And I was looking in a completely different part of this country, but I've cracked it now!
58 of 59  -   Report This Post

quisling

20th December 2022, 23:26
Happy to help. Glad you’ve sorted it. Get well!
59 of 59  -   Report This Post