CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

granama1

11th December 2022, 17:26
The instruction could have been 'shade' the place name to contrast the other shading required as far as I can see.

Had never heard of it but the two jumbles and the unclued entry proved fruitful via Google. The place name was the last thing to yield...which is quite amusing in retrospect, having done a fair bit of grid staring. 😄
31 of 59  -   Report This Post

williamseal

11th December 2022, 19:11
Thanks Granama1 for this nudge. I found the answer the same way. Second week running I've actually completed so either they are getting easier or I may be getting better!

Greetings to all
32 of 59  -   Report This Post

marshyjm

11th December 2022, 19:21
Had never heard of the place name before- wasn’t exactly sure how to extend the lower lines to the edge of the grid but seems logical that they don’t extend to the middle of edges of cells.
33 of 59  -   Report This Post

murky

12th December 2022, 11:36
I have no idea what an earth Quixote is getting at, or why he chose to engage in sarcasm. Normally solvers are told if cells contain extra letters unless such information gives something thematic away. I don't think that was the case here, though I agree that the penultimate sentence of the preamble steers the solver towards that likelihood.
34 of 59  -   Report This Post

cruncher

12th December 2022, 13:32
Not sure if this asking for too much information but I have the completed grid and place name but struggling to make sense of the map instructions.
Do you draw lines connecting the centres of the appropriate squares in neighbouring rows - i.e row 1 to row 2 and then extend to the edge of the grid - and then do the same for the columns. Or simply draw horizontal and vertical lines through each of the squares. Neither seems to make a sensible diagram and I have two squares in column 7 which seems to complicate things.
35 of 59  -   Report This Post

crowdedmorning

12th December 2022, 15:02
Enjoyed this, and the solve went fairly smoothly, but my resultant lines have left me with a few small doubts. The regions make sense broadly, but the topography doesn't actually match up particularly closely to the reality, as far as I can tell. Does this seem as expected?

Also, if one follows the preamble strictly, particularly with respect to the line being "through the centres of the cells," technically speaking, the number of "distinct regions" created doesn't actually match the three specified. I get the intention but given the specific language in the preamble, as well as my above concern, I wasn't certain.
36 of 59  -   Report This Post

kindred2

12th December 2022, 15:45
@crowdedmorning I came here to make exactly the same observation about the number of distinct reasons! Although perhaps we've both made the same mistake....
37 of 59  -   Report This Post

kindred2

12th December 2022, 15:52
... although now I seem to have 10 clues with omitted letters so perhaps that's part of the problem
38 of 59  -   Report This Post

crowdedmorning

12th December 2022, 16:02
Interesting, I have nine extra-letter cells as instructed!
39 of 59  -   Report This Post

kindred2

12th December 2022, 16:09
If we have the issue with the same cell, then I think the second half of the wordplay in the across answer to the cell that's causing us both trouble gives 3 letters (although could very easily give 2 as well - and the 2 is more supported by Chambers).
40 of 59  -   Report This Post