CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

22nd October 2022, 00:55
In this politically historic week, I don't think we can be too surprised that recent events, well ...PM's to be precise, have made their way into this week's Prize puzzle by Vlad. In fact, kudos to Vlad for getting these clues done at such short notice.

I didn't find this overly difficult but some of the UK centric answers may prove difficult for our overseas solvers - but then, that's what Google's for:-)

FOI was 10a followed by 11a.

If you do get stuck there is at least one long anagram and at least one hidden, both in the downs.

There are still a couple of clues I haven't fully parsed, namely the first 2 letters in 7d and 17a - is this just a cryptic definition or is there more to it?

The definition in 25a was also new to me - I had no idea the answer could mean ...er "means"!

COD - I really liked 16a but my pick of the bunch is the Spoonerism at 17d - I invariably have to reverse engineer these but, when the penny finally does drop, they always raise a smile:-)

Thanks to Vlad for a fun way to kick off the weekend.

Stay safe:-)
1 of 72  -   Report This Post

geeker

22nd October 2022, 01:04
Hi Brendan,

Thanks to Vlad. I enjoyed this after the initial trepidation that the byline Vlad always triggers. Slightly more difficult than the Prize norm but rather gentle by Vladian standards.

FOI 1d (good start!), LOI 18.
Co-COD 8 and 9; 18 and 4 the second tier of candidates; also liked 22, 12, 19 and 21.

I also struggled with parsing of 7, wound up with 3 (skirt), 2 (wearing), 1 (one).
Agreed on 17a: wrote in the solution based on cd, didn't expect it to hold up, but concluded it had to be right (the "holiday" is coming up)...
Also agreed on defn. of 25!
2 of 72  -   Report This Post

geeker

22nd October 2022, 01:09
[Added] Thought 14 was clever, but it might not find favo(u)r with some readers.
3 of 72  -   Report This Post

brendan

22nd October 2022, 01:14
Hi Geeker,

As soon as I saw the references to PM's I thought "I wonder how Geeker will fare"!

7d - I'm sure you're right. I've just ;looked up the definition of the 2 and it is "wearing".

I had meant to add 23d to my list of COD contenders.

PS - I see HN has come out 'guns blazing'!
4 of 72  -   Report This Post

brendan

22nd October 2022, 01:17
14a - I agree, a very clever clue but you're right, it might not sit well with everyone.
5 of 72  -   Report This Post

geeker

22nd October 2022, 01:25
I didn't struggle so much with the PM material, kinda used to that in cryptics. I must admit consulting Google in regards to the Spice Girls, however. 🤣

Note by Admin - paragraph removed at the request of Geeker
6 of 72  -   Report This Post

ianwil

22nd October 2022, 09:17
Thanks for the parsing of 7d. I was thrown by the last 4 letters being “skirt”!
7 of 72  -   Report This Post

rocky7

22nd October 2022, 09:21
On my app there seems to be a typo in 17d. What is the correct word meant to be. And or amid? Or is it not a typo?
8 of 72  -   Report This Post

brendan

22nd October 2022, 09:24
Hi Rocky, 17a - correct word is "and".

Hi Ian, I was led down the same path in 7d:-)
9 of 72  -   Report This Post

brendan

22nd October 2022, 09:28
... although it could be "amid" - thankfully, it doesn't really affect the wordplay or definition.
10 of 72  -   Report This Post