CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

14th August 2022, 22:10
Hi Quiz,

30d - 6 letter "cardi" (It's in Chambers and you can reverse engineer it from the answer) minus last letter + "maiden"

45a - minus "see"
51 of 90  -   Report This Post

quiz

14th August 2022, 22:28
Thanks, Brendan - both ‘obvious’ now!
52 of 90  -   Report This Post

brendan

14th August 2022, 22:29
Thanks Quiz:-)
53 of 90  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

14th August 2022, 23:36
Oh dear. I can only repeat my heartfelt apology to you both and try to learn from it.
54 of 90  -   Report This Post

jif73

15th August 2022, 03:00
Quisling (#50, 51, 52)
As you say, in 25d, the clue WITHOUT a correction can be read as wordplay leading to a four-letter word + a single letter, giving the answer but without a definition.
However, WITH the correction, the definition can lead to the same four-letter word since Wikipedia lists it as a Spanish SURNAME; the addition of the single letter gives a FORENAME, so this clue is a legit &lit.

Thanks to everyone who posted hints to obscure wordplay in the down clues which gave me peace of mind. I was still flummoxed by the wordplay in 14a which no-one here queried but I just realised what 'unacceptable today' meant and all became as crystal.

I've just returned from my fairly regular early-Monday-morning trip to the postbox round the corner — to catch the first collection — after the street lights have timed out. The light from the moon was very welcome.

Thanks to Quinapalus for a fairly straightforward but enjoyable workout. I did, however, make the endgame far more time-consuming than it should have been by skimming the instruction in the preamble and not taking in the fact that the initial letters of the additional thematic items appear IN ORDER... D'oh!
55 of 90  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

15th August 2022, 13:56
Thanks to Chris remo and Jif. Think I understand 25d now but v poor in my view in that (notwithstanding Jif's point), the wordplay only works pre adjustment and the definition pos adjustment as far as I can see. Plus I hate & and lit at the best of times.

Still don't understand the significance of baize in 39 or how wordplay for 19d works
56 of 90  -   Report This Post

quisling

15th August 2022, 14:05
SH, baize is a table covering in a particular game, referenced in one of the meanings of the first letter of the answer to 39d.

19d is all reversed. Word for bow o(f) word for Oxford boat crew
57 of 90  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

15th August 2022, 15:57
Thanks quisling, all clear now.
58 of 90  -   Report This Post

quisling

15th August 2022, 16:09
No worries, SH. Btw I also didn’t like 25d for exactly the reason you mention. Cleverer minds than mine will know whether it passes muster in an &lit.
59 of 90  -   Report This Post

williamseal

15th August 2022, 16:52
Greetings - usual report for me on a good day. A full grid and horribly stuck on misprints hence can't get to the verse.

Hints on the misprint for 37 down and 40 down would be most welcome. Are they both part of a four letter word?

The other one that escapes me is the misprint in 1 down.

I think this is a puzzle where it is worth preserving so I'd be most grateful.
60 of 90  -   Report This Post