CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jack aubrey

14th August 2022, 12:24
Foinaven, Norah belay my request. Having been an inadvertent sinner myself I was over-sensitive to words that might hint too clearly at the theme. I apologise to you both.
41 of 90  -   Report This Post

norah (admin)

14th August 2022, 12:25
Too late Jack, see my earlier post to Foinaven😓
42 of 90  -   Report This Post

quixote

14th August 2022, 13:02
One man's* kitsch is another man's shtick...

* (The generic mascuine of course includes the feminine.)
43 of 90  -   Report This Post

crowdedmorning

14th August 2022, 15:13
I didn't have a huge amount of difficulty filling the grid, but I'm currently facing several loose ends. I wasn't familiar with the thematic material but managed to figure it out, and I have the "set"—but for the life of me I can't seem to uncover the symmetrically-disposed pattern described in the preamble, in order to actually circle the relevant letters. I'm not sure what I'm missing here.

I have also failed to fully parse several bits of wordplay, more than usual. I am confident in the definitions. Nudges welcome:

15ac: I have most of the wordplay but I must be failing to correctly parse an indicator or something like that, I can't make it work tidily.

34ac: This feels like very straightforward wordplay except for a single letter for which I cannot account.

19dn, 27dn: At a loss here.
44 of 90  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

14th August 2022, 16:42
Similar here. Completed the grid, and the endgame, but a ton of loose ends.

Can't parse 19d or 25d, or any of the last 4 normal down clues. Feels like the message ends before you get to them but I can't get any of them to work without changing letters.

Eg 35 surely needs a k, but that doesn't seem to fit the message?

I note the previous discussion on 40 but I can't find any reference in Chambers that links the unadjusted definition to my answer.

Quite a neat puzzle, marred for me by a huge number of loos ends that I can't figure out.
45 of 90  -   Report This Post

hotelwhiskey7

14th August 2022, 17:01
Hi SH.

It’s part of the nature of barred puzzles, in that you’re going to come across relatively obscure words, which the setter needed to make the thing work. A sort of white-collar equivalent of a dry stone wall.

Unless you were in one, you may mot know the term for (at Oxford University) a second boat of a college, or its crew - but there it is, in Chambers.

As such - knowing the answer and retrospectively deriving the wordplay is as satisfying as getting the answer first off; poss greater…
46 of 90  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

14th August 2022, 17:09
Have now figured out the wordplay for 35 to 38 and finally spotted the connection in 40 I think.

So now down to 19d, 25d and 39d. Any hints on the wordplay those appreciated.
47 of 90  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

14th August 2022, 17:10
Have now figured out the wordplay for 35 to 38 and finally spotted the connection in 40 I think.

So now down to 19d, 25d and 39d. Any hints on the wordplay those appreciated.
48 of 90  -   Report This Post

crowdedmorning

14th August 2022, 17:21
Smellyharry,

25dn: My understanding of this one is that it's &lit; the word that is modified via misprint is doing almost all of the work, and the rest of the clue contributes a single letter which is very straightforwardly derived.

39dn: Def. first word; I ended up reverse-solving this one from that, then understanding the nature of the first letter's wordplay by scouring that letter's Chambers definition. The rest of the answer is a common word defined by the remainder of the clue.

I hope these aren't too vague—finding it hard to be more specific without completely giving it all away.
49 of 90  -   Report This Post

quiz

14th August 2022, 21:55
Really enjoyed this one, and a great red herring for the end game/theme.

Can anyone please help with parsing of 30d? I have the misprint, the definition, and (presumably) ‘maiden’, but not how the rest fits.

Likewise, completely baffled by 45a - there seems to be a spare letter, and I can’t see anything in the clue to justify removing it.
50 of 90  -   Report This Post