CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

useby

13th August 2022, 16:39
Thanks Pootle. I think I see now. I was reading it a bit too literally (same problem I had with the Quads the other week).
31 of 90  -   Report This Post

quixote

13th August 2022, 16:42
All done now bar the dyeing - would be magnificent to comply fully; only John Green will know... but he deserves the treat...

What fun! Couldn't make sense of the misprints except with hindsight, so PDM more luck than judgement, from spotting the second thematic hint answer in the grid and a connective flash - still haven't spoted the first word. Nearly chased after another great creation on the theme, but thought the home-grown one more likely.

Some wonderful new words - thank you, Quinapalus.
32 of 90  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

13th August 2022, 16:42
Once done (including the optional highlighting) I recalled an event long ago camping as a student. A comrade, completely stoned and hair awry, emerged from his tent and gazed at the field as only the stoned do. “Man,” he breathed. “All those *******!” (Censored to avoid allusion!)
33 of 90  -   Report This Post

foinaven

13th August 2022, 18:58
By far the hardest part of solving was finding the misprints, which led me to the verse, and in turn to the work inspired by the verse.

I hope I don't need to go more than superficially into this ghastly stuff, which I have managed to avoid up to now. Anyway, time to pinch the nostrils and jump in at the deep end.
34 of 90  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

13th August 2022, 19:29
Foinaven, value judgements aside, you may want to consider asking Norah to edit your post.
35 of 90  -   Report This Post

foinaven

14th August 2022, 10:06
Happy to do that, Jack Aubrey. I have, I think, notified Norah. But the circling and the colouring are mentioned in the preamble, and there is plenty of mediocre verse around.
36 of 90  -   Report This Post

norah (admin)

14th August 2022, 11:33
Foinaven, I've emailed you. Can someone please tell me what to remove and I'll do it as soon as possible but I am going out at 12.45pm.
37 of 90  -   Report This Post

bobbycollins

14th August 2022, 11:59
"……." no doubt, but surely one of the delights of The Listener, Inquisitor and EV is the catholic range of themes employed? One man's distaste of a subject is another man's passion for it.

Amended by Admin, I accidentally removed Foinaven’s post in error
38 of 90  -   Report This Post

norah (admin)

14th August 2022, 12:21
Sorry, Foinaven, I clicked on the wrong link and your whole post seems to have disappeared. I’m rushing round before I go out and obviously not paying proper attention to what I’m doing.
39 of 90  -   Report This Post

hotelwhiskey7

14th August 2022, 12:23
Quick ‘Hear hear’ to the above.

In any given week, we might have Euler lines (mathematics); Flann O’Brien works other than The Third Policeman (literature); or CS Lewis (mathematics *and* literature).

I for one did not know that much about Schubert’s latter works, specifically with reference to a collaborator; do now.

Cheers editor (for once)…
40 of 90  -   Report This Post