CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

1st July 2022, 16:02
THE CLUES

Requests for help should normally include the clue itself, the number of letters in the answer, and details of any you already have. Any special instructions or additional information should be included.
HINTS only, please, no answers.

THE THEME
Requests may be made here for GENTLE NUDGES only towards the theme. Yes, 'gentle nudges' is hard to define, of course - but the ideal scenario is giving enough of a nudge to help without revealing too much. The theme itself should not be revealed under any circumstances.
NB If you feel a reply or a post is too revealing, please say so on the thread before contacting Admin.

The Listener is a unique puzzle, please treat it with the respect it deserves.
1 of 46  -   Report This Post

jordan

1st July 2022, 19:37
Thanks Vismut!! Makes a refreshing change to not have to spend the entire weekend struggling with The Listener. I do have one empty cell from the "mirror of the chap" clue but that is about 168 fewer than this time last week.
2 of 46  -   Report This Post

kindred2

1st July 2022, 21:38
That grid fill was a lot more relaxing than last week! still looking for the final closed curve to highlight but I'm sure it will appear in the morning
3 of 46  -   Report This Post

simplesimon

1st July 2022, 23:32
Thanks Vismut. Echo the previous 2 comments.
4 of 46  -   Report This Post

brendan

2nd July 2022, 03:10
I hadn't heard of the main character but it was certainly interesting to read about the action and all participants involved.

I can't see how the across and down clues are "linked in a similar way" but it hasn't stopped me completing the puzzle and highlighting the closed curves.

Thanks to Vismut for a most enjoyable puzzle.
5 of 46  -   Report This Post

hotelwhiskey7

2nd July 2022, 07:05
Brendan - have a look at all the numbered clues - all acrosses then all downs - and see if anything thematic (and recently used) stands out (including the thematic sense of the word ‘closed’ from the preamble)…
6 of 46  -   Report This Post

zdee

2nd July 2022, 07:43
Morning all, in the 'linked' clues, is the link thematic or physical, and do we have to put the link into the wordplay before solving? That seems a little strange as my understanding is that the link can only be figured out once the answers are solved for.
7 of 46  -   Report This Post

hotelwhiskey7

2nd July 2022, 08:05
Other way round. Wordplay gives a (usually) non-word, to which the link is added to generate the answer.

[Trust this is merely clarifying the preamble and not giving too much away].
8 of 46  -   Report This Post

zdee

2nd July 2022, 08:43
Ah yes, that makes a lot more sense, don't know how I missed that. Thanks HW7
9 of 46  -   Report This Post

0pt0

2nd July 2022, 10:02
Jordan, the "mirror of the chap" clue was the last one I solved. If you still need the answer, I think its first letter is thematic, the second is a letter for before and the rest is a reversed type of examination with the first letter removed (topped).
10 of 46  -   Report This Post