CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

geeker

25th June 2022, 01:16
Thanks to Vlad for this week's witty Prize.

Vlad's last Prize (28,751?) was gentle by his standards; this one is a return to his stern ways, highly difficult but not quite as fierce as his next-to-last (28,661?) which I recall deeming an "impalement".

FOI 20, had trouble getting started but a couple of long anagrams helped. A clear topical theme which is no stranger to recent crosswords. LOI 7, clever but far from easy for someone on my (US) side of the pond.

Many outstanding and tricky clues. Difficult to select a COD, but will go with 1 and 5 as co-winners. Also liked 10, 2, 21d, 13, 22a, 17, 14d and 7. Long COD list is a sign of high quality. Vlad is one of the most difficult setters for me, but the challenge is always fun.
1 of 109  -   Report This Post

brendan

25th June 2022, 01:19
This week's puzzle is by Vlad and, while I don't think it's an actual themed crossword, there are quite a few references to politics and politicians (and others!)

i found this rather quite difficult in places and was mightily relieved that I managed to complete it, and I do wonder how Geeker and our other overseas solvers will get on.

If you do get stuck, there is at least one hidden in the acrosses and at least one long anagram in the downs.

I had the most difficulty in the SE corner, but this was mostly my fault due to putting the wrong ending to 15d 🤬

25a - I can't find this in any of the usual dictionaries but I Googled the answer and voila! Well, if 7d got a mention I suppose it's only fair 😉

The only other query I had was the "lots of information" in 21d but I think it's fair.

COD - Lots of contenders this week with the deceptively simple 20d and 22a for its use of "private" which completely threw me, I also liked 17d but my COD is the excellent 23d - "Green are is quiet place of refuge" which took me an age to figure out!

Thanks to Vlad for a very challenging and enjoyable puzzle.

It was great to see more first-time posters join our friendly Prize blog last week - the more the merrier:-)

As always, if you get do stuck, please don't hesitate to ask for a hint - there are always people on here willing to help.
2 of 109  -   Report This Post

geeker

25th June 2022, 01:21
Not certain of 6's parsing, though confident in answer.
Clue 18 also deserves praise, there's a clever misdirection which doesn't quite parse but still suggests the solution.
3 of 109  -   Report This Post

brendan

25th June 2022, 01:23
Hi Geeker,

6d - You'll kick yourself - I know I did! Think of the most obvious way to solve a clue-)
4 of 109  -   Report This Post

geeker

25th June 2022, 01:25
Hi Brendan, sorry for the crossed posts, I'd have preferred for you to open!

Very tough puzzle, but the theme has not been rare of late so I was able to catch on. 7 did stump me and research was required. I'd never heard of 25, but the parsing was so clear that I didn't bother to google.
5 of 109  -   Report This Post

brendan

25th June 2022, 01:34
No problem Geeker, I was eager to see how you fared with so much UK politics but I should have known you'd be okay:-)

PS At least 7d has a US aspect in the clue.
6 of 109  -   Report This Post

geeker

25th June 2022, 01:41
Agreed on 7! Vlad threw me a bone there, so to speak. 🤣
7 of 109  -   Report This Post

brendan

25th June 2022, 01:45
I also liked the misleading "Garden state" in 10a - I thought hmm, there's no way New Jersey will fit in there:-)
8 of 109  -   Report This Post

geeker

25th June 2022, 01:52
Very true with 10, another semi-misdirect! I burned some time on "Garden State" before concluding there was no way a "J" would fit in. 😂
9 of 109  -   Report This Post

brendan

25th June 2022, 02:52
"Semi-misdirect" - I've only just got what you meant 😂
10 of 109  -   Report This Post