CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

simond9x

1st June 2022, 12:29
What's the relevance of the title? I googled it with the thematic word but can only see one very obscure reference where they occur together.
61 of 72  -   Report This Post

quisling

1st June 2022, 14:41
I assumed the first three letters were initials, simond9x, and the last four relate to his iconic status. But I could be completely wrong
62 of 72  -   Report This Post

drxx

1st June 2022, 15:19
I thought the first 3 letters could be a xxxxxxxxx

Note by Admin - word removed as too revealing of the theme
63 of 72  -   Report This Post

simond9x

1st June 2022, 15:33
Thanks, quisling and drxx. I hadn't noticed the relevance of the first 3 letters. What would have been the icing on the cake would have been if there had been an apostrophe after those 3 letters, and if the word formed by the last 3 letters had been thematic. Ah well.....

Enjoyable crossword.
64 of 72  -   Report This Post

thepost

1st June 2022, 16:19
brendan, thank you for your response. I had already sussed out the biblical bit but I thought that there should have been some mention of the xxxxxxxx. word as it is key to the subject. I have found the seven words but I found it unsatisfactory that two appeared in the same column (if I have got it right).

A good idea for a puzzle but it seemed to me to be unsatisfactoly with the thematic elements at the end.

Note by Admin - word removed as too revealing of the theme
65 of 72  -   Report This Post

thepost

1st June 2022, 17:12
Sorry, typed too quickly - even with only two fingers. I meant to say that I thought the xxxxxxxx word should have been in the completed grid somewhere.

And as for satisfactoly......!

Note by admin - word removed as too revealing of the theme
66 of 72  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

2nd June 2022, 11:42
Finally complete, although bit concerned by my 3 letter answer. I have the literary reference in the same column as another answer, but do others think there is a better 3 letter answer?

Also can't parse the island bit of 34a

Thanks
67 of 72  -   Report This Post

simond9x

2nd June 2022, 11:54
Hi SH. My 3 letter is in the same column as a 6 letter. Pretty sure it's correct.

Re 34a, assuming you've sorted out its extra or discarded letter, try combining it with letters 4-6 in the grid and look it up in Chambers.
68 of 72  -   Report This Post

gazzar

2nd June 2022, 16:17
Hi Simond9x. Like SH I can't parse 34ac and don't have the extra letter to combine with letters 4 to 6 of the answer.
I also can't parse 21d but otherwise have a full grid. Any hints gratefully received!
69 of 72  -   Report This Post

quisling

2nd June 2022, 17:21
Gazzar, SH, the island is the last meaning in the BRB of a word meaning to blacken, also a fish.

In 21d, 3 letter abbreviation for the book, and a reversed word for to dig deeply, which loses a letter. A US spelling, I.e one L
70 of 72  -   Report This Post