CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

bathmatters

30th May 2022, 21:44
Just checking about a convention in the Listener puzzles generally.

It has to do with proper nouns that have non-capitalized homographs.

In the past I have seen many clues where the capital letter was “hidden” by also leading the first word in the clue.

So for the word “catatonic” a permissible clue would be
“Tom has a drink and is immobilized.”

However, “Immobilized Tom has a drink” would not be allowed.

But in this week’s puzzle clue 28 down violates that convention.

Set me straight, if you would?
51 of 72  -   Report This Post

louweed

31st May 2022, 08:06
I think it’s the other way around that’s not allowed - if it’s a proper noun it has to be capitalised. Regular nouns can be capitalised or not, wherever they are
52 of 72  -   Report This Post

paulo

31st May 2022, 19:07
Could I get a nudge to help with 23a and 6d please. I currently have three letters for each but frustratingly can’t see the def or wordplay for either! My train of thought for 23a is maybe def=‘regularly look at’ clued by a word for strengthen (a vital part of the body) minus the last letter but I’m far from convinced as I can’t get the word I had in mind (a synonym of to listen) to equate to ‘regularly look at’. Meanwhile I can’t get a handle on 6d despite now being well-up on synonyms for public loos....
53 of 72  -   Report This Post

bathmatters

31st May 2022, 19:21
Thank you LW!
54 of 72  -   Report This Post

dsc

31st May 2022, 19:49
paulo, in 23 you need to "regularly" look at the following two words, the last two words are the definition.

Could someone nudge me too please on 6d, which I guess has a clash?
TIA
55 of 72  -   Report This Post

paulo

31st May 2022, 21:44
thanks dsc
56 of 72  -   Report This Post

neophyte

31st May 2022, 21:55
Agree it has a clash. It is (I think) a double definition clue
57 of 72  -   Report This Post

will37

31st May 2022, 21:56
DSC - 6d is a double-def. - 1st 2 words of the clue & the other 3 words. And yes, there is a clash.
58 of 72  -   Report This Post

thepost

1st June 2022, 11:09
Maybe it's me but I am underwhelmed by this puzzle unlike many other people. The preamble is seemingly unclear. ".....extra letters give a hint towards seven appropriately presented words associated with a thematic word. Solvers must highlight these words......" Highlight the seven words or eight including the thematic word? I cannot see a relevant thematic word in the grid. So, assuming that there isn't one, I have found six words for highlighting. Is the seventh (of six letters) in the penultimate column? There is only one possible six letter word in the column but what has it got to do with the theme? Any help to understand this endgame would be greatly appreciated.

Happy June everybody!
59 of 72  -   Report This Post

brendan

1st June 2022, 12:11
Hi Thepost,

If you Google the phrase created by the extra letters you'll get the thematic word of which there are 7 synonyms or related words in the grid (none in the penultimate column).
60 of 72  -   Report This Post