CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

14th May 2022, 01:38
This week's puzzle is by Imogen, a setter we don't see often on Prize Saturdays.

I was going to say this was the proverbial game of two halves but that would be inaccurate - suffice it to say I spent as long on my last 3 clues (all in SW corner) as the rest of the crossword combined!

Oh, and a noticed a very pleasant theme or at least partial theme which I won't say too much about but it brought back many happy memories from my childhood, in a roundabout way 😜 - although I think Geeker and other non-UK solvers might be a tad bemused 🤔

Difficulty is difficult to gauge for the reasons given above but I recommend the crossing pair of 4a and 7d as a good place to start.

If you do get stuck there is at least one long anagram in the downs.

There are a few where the parsing still has me a tad puzzled but I'll think on them a while longer before asking for help.

COD - A tie between 13a and 12d.

Thanks to Imogen for a very challenging but rewarding puzzle:-)

Did you find it as tricky as me and how long did it take you to spot the children's characters?

Please leave a comment and, as ever, if you do get stuck don't hesitate to ask for a hint.

Stay safe:-)
1 of 102  -   Report This Post

geeker

14th May 2022, 01:47
Hi Brendan,

I found this extremely difficult, and am still lacking a solution for 24 (have a couple of guesses but no parsing).
Not helped by the fact that I'm totally ignorant of the apparent theme (revealed by Google after parsing), triggering a certain dislike for the puzzle, which I've set aside for a while.
Thanks to Imogen, though: definitely a challenge and some excellent cluing. If I cared at all for the theme I'd likely have rated the puzzle highly. 😂
2 of 102  -   Report This Post

brendan

14th May 2022, 01:54
Hi Geeker,

There are also a few children's characters in addition to the ones I alluded to earlier but I hadn't heard of any of them and, like you, needed Google.

24a - Is one of the few I haven't yet parsed so I'm in the same boat.

I'm now wondering if this will turn out to be a Marmite puzzle - it will be interesting to read all the posts.
3 of 102  -   Report This Post

brendan

14th May 2022, 02:06
24a - I've got a tick on the app so I'm sure my answer is correct and can see the "feeble power" part (sort of!) but haven't quite worked out the "game" reference.
4 of 102  -   Report This Post

brendan

14th May 2022, 02:10
.... and, of course, I soon as soon as I say I can't see it - I immediately see it 😂 There's a saying that includes the first few words and the answer.
5 of 102  -   Report This Post

oldfolky

14th May 2022, 02:15
Hello everyone. This is my first time posting here.

24a has me stumped too. Also 1a, 16a and 22d.

Otherwise pretty straightforward.
6 of 102  -   Report This Post

brendan

14th May 2022, 02:19
Hi Oldfolky and welcome to our friendly Prize gathering:-)

16a the definition is "point"

22d is a homophone type clue with definition the first 3 words.

1a the "article" is one that might be in a newspaper and the definition is the last 4 words.
7 of 102  -   Report This Post

brendan

14th May 2022, 02:20
Sorry ... 1a - definition is last 5 words.
8 of 102  -   Report This Post

oldfolky

14th May 2022, 02:40
Thanks, Brendan. That cleared up 1a.

Now I'll sleep on the others and see what the morning brings.
9 of 102  -   Report This Post

brendan

14th May 2022, 02:46
Thanks Oldfolky, I find looking at the clues again after a good nights sleep often brings inspiration:-)
10 of 102  -   Report This Post