CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

14th May 2022, 17:10
yes, i got 7d from the theme (i didn't know the reference), and only parsed half of 9a
51 of 102  -   Report This Post

geeker

14th May 2022, 17:19
Thanks, rocky. In pre-Google days I'd likely have given up.
At least Google use was limited...I used it only to verify the solution of 18 (unfamiliar but clear from wordplay), not taking the additional (dubious) step of researching the list of characters 😉. Deferred that one until the grid was filled. 😂
52 of 102  -   Report This Post

minno

14th May 2022, 17:20
So, I got 4a first! The Swiftian word also jumped into my head, and I couldn't even spell it. But guess what, I can't get 2d.
Agree that story of Vulcan is enlightening. I do see the challenge he faced and think he's getting the level better now, with a few scorpian stingers in there nowadays. Maybe I've got male builder's syndrome, start off enthusiastic, find the last touches out of reach. So, 2d... Now where's that step ladder gone?
53 of 102  -   Report This Post

minno

14th May 2022, 17:28
Google to the rescue.
54 of 102  -   Report This Post

geeker

14th May 2022, 17:33
2 also took me ages. I'd seen the word before, but only in a cryptic crossword and had forgotten it. Only figured it out after getting 1a, which also took forever (though it's really clever IMO).
55 of 102  -   Report This Post

brendan

14th May 2022, 17:45
You did well to stick with it Geeker, I can only imagine how frustrating it must have been to be constantly faced with references you've never before encountered.

PS The Captcha has vanished when I try to post in Chrome so I had to open Edge to post this - how odd! 🤔
56 of 102  -   Report This Post

geeker

14th May 2022, 17:54
In Chrome Friday I had one weird experience when I was unable to post for lack of a captcha that hadn't appeared.
57 of 102  -   Report This Post

geeker

14th May 2022, 17:56
Might help to update Chrome (Help->About Google Chrome). I've noticed several updates this week, including one a moment ago.
58 of 102  -   Report This Post

brendan

14th May 2022, 18:07
I've updated Chrome and relaunched it but still no Captcha.

The problem is that when I try and post I get the "please complete Captcha" banner - but it isn't there so I'm still having to post via Edge.
59 of 102  -   Report This Post

roof

14th May 2022, 18:10
Hi everyone

Guess what, I'm having trouble. I haven't yet guessed the theme. Am I too old or too young? I must google 18ac. My foi was 11acwhich I guessed though cnnot parse all of it. I thought 23ac was going to be box?????

I started at lunch time today but then broke off to do some gardening in this lovely weather, watching the cirrus clouds gather to tell us of the forthcoming storm. I do hope we get some decent rain.

Time to get the washing in and then see if I can get the theme.

I've decided I don't like Imogen.
60 of 102  -   Report This Post