CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

buddy

25th May 2022, 14:03
bobbyc: good news. Was that a Groucho reference?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2rX-1rTuhE
51 of 61  -   Report This Post

bobbycollins

25th May 2022, 14:09
Absolutely, buddy!!
52 of 61  -   Report This Post

bobbycollins

25th May 2022, 14:16
Apologies for hogging the show, but the following has just occurred to me.

If the website version is to be interactive only, then it will, by necessity, have to be dumbed down to some extent since most thematic barred puzzles don't lend themselves to the interactive format. As I have said, that's progress?
53 of 61  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

25th May 2022, 14:57
Brilliant news!!! Thanks for letting us know.
54 of 61  -   Report This Post

bobbycollins

25th May 2022, 18:29
PLease ignore my post #53. There won't be an interactive alternative. That doesn't alter my view that the provision of a PDF isn't exactly the proverbial rocket science.
55 of 61  -   Report This Post

grayfriar

25th May 2022, 19:56
I fail to understand why the EV could not be interactive, it is not the working out and changes that have to be checked by the software, only the final version. In the current interactive puzzles, each square must be checked to see if it contains the correct letter, if the solution requires a number, Greek character, or more than one letter, the contents of the box can still be compared with the correct contents. In the same way as a cell can be chosen to ask for a letter hint, a button could be added to the bottom of the screen to shade a square, (or unshade it). All of the current interactive puzzles can be printed so where coloured pencils are required, the puzzle could be printed off before completing and scanning the grid to enter.
I understand the altruism of people that have won pens not entering again but the number of entries is the only reliable way the management have to know how many people are looking at the puzzle; if they feel that too few people are reading a certain page then it is time to replace it with something that may attract a larger audience. I have never worked in media but would guess that the more entries they receive, the more they can charge for advertisements on surrounding pages.
As, currently, the Giant General Knowledge and Herculis puzzles are non-interactive pdf files, are they too going to disappear.
The weekly just-for-fun clue competition has just been closed in the puzzles newsletter and, according to that newsletter, there are going to be more changes coming in 2022.
56 of 61  -   Report This Post

nick

26th May 2022, 15:25
Probably the best way to get more solvers to submit with this type of puzzle is to have a prize (not another pen) for the most correct submissions in a year, and publish the names of the top say 20.
57 of 61  -   Report This Post

devastated

26th May 2022, 16:26
As a new correspondent and owner of a number of fountain pens for entries of EV - this news fills me with despondency. I shall have to change Sunday paper to find a new source of such pleasure and mental exercise.
Let's hope for a re-think.
58 of 61  -   Report This Post

malone

26th May 2022, 18:40
Devastated, I think you might have overlooked the recent posts about the reprieve, EV continuing?
59 of 61  -   Report This Post

gabrielc

26th July 2022, 12:45
expressing my dismay! (backed by an active sub)
60 of 61  -   Report This Post