CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jeg

14th May 2022, 13:14
The writing was on the wall when they introduced the Sunday “Toughie”. I can’t see any way back. RIP EV.
31 of 61  -   Report This Post

nick

14th May 2022, 14:02
I agree with bobbycollins, the puzzles editor has set well over a 100 thematic puzzles himself, and of course was the previous editor of the EV. I find it highly unlikely he'd want to get rid of it.
32 of 61  -   Report This Post

pds

15th May 2022, 12:27
This thread about EV is sad, but not totally surprising. Not so long ago I completed (as a subscriber for many years to both DT and ST) a questionnaire from the Telegraph, the whole thrust of which was to gauge my opinion about receiving the publication in electronic form, though cessation of the print edition was not specifically mentioned. The final comment I submitted to the Telegraph voiced the view that such a move would not be welcomed by many. I suggest that the news about EV is all part of the move to a fully-digital publication, if not immediately: it'll be puzzles first then the rest.
If EV goes and, as is quite possible 'The Crossword Club' ceases to operate, this will create a big hole in many cruciverbalists diet.
I, too, will e-mail the Crossword editor, more in hope than expectation.
33 of 61  -   Report This Post

bobbycollins

15th May 2022, 17:27
There is no mention of the EV's demise with this week's puzzle. I wonder when the punters will be formally notified? No doubt the money men will wish to delay the cancellation of subscriptions for as long as possible.
34 of 61  -   Report This Post

caphrist

15th May 2022, 18:37
I too will write to the editor and I'll also cancel my Telegraph subscription, not least because the paper itself has gradually become little more than a posh man's Express. At worst, I suppose it releases more time to try for an all-correct in the Listener as well as the excellent Magpie magazine.
35 of 61  -   Report This Post

brendan

15th May 2022, 18:43
I've just received an email from Chris Lancaster confirming the decision, so it does look like that's it ☹️
36 of 61  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

15th May 2022, 19:18
Like Brendan I have just received an email confirming the impending end of EV. That it is to be replaced by a non-thematic barred crossword is no consolation.
37 of 61  -   Report This Post

son1ofrover1

15th May 2022, 19:25
Me too. Ditto re the substitute.
38 of 61  -   Report This Post

connie

16th May 2022, 10:09
Me too. I have asked Chris to explain the rationale behind replacing a much loved puzzle with one that appears to be inferior.
Should have added that if the problem is that they've run out of pens I at least would be happy to forgo the possibility of winning one!
39 of 61  -   Report This Post

peejayemm

16th May 2022, 12:37
I too have received a reply from Chris Lancaster. He says '...the loss of the EV will be a blow to its small but very loyal group of solvers.'

I assume not many submit each week thus justifying the 'small' comment above. I no longer submit after being drawn out of the hat last year so now having a Telegraph fountain pen. I don't need another. I wonder how many others are in a similar position.
40 of 61  -   Report This Post