CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

9th April 2022, 00:54
This week's Prize is by Crucible who is a setter we don't encounter too often - at least I don't think so?

FOI was 9a followed by the crossing 4d.

In terms of difficulty, I'd say regular solvers will find much of it quite easy but then, if you're anything like me, the last few might prove much more of a challenge.

If you do get stuck there is at least one anagram in the acrosses.

There are still a few clues where, although the answers are clear, the wordplay is less so - namely 14a where I'm not sure of the "by the sound of it" part and 25a and in 17d I'm having trouble equating my answer a definition.

25a was a new phrase to me and I needed Google to understand why 15d was "Brown".

COD - I've gone for the short but sweet 23d

Thanks to Crucible for an enjoyable puzzle.

Stay safe:-)

1 of 50  -   Report This Post

geeker

9th April 2022, 01:15
Hi Brendan,

Thanks to Crucible, who I agree is an infrequent Prize setter.
Another tale of 2 puzzles: got off to a very fast start, but found a handful of clues exceptionally tough. Thus on balance above median difficulty!
FOI 1 followed by 16, ergo "fast start".
LOI 23d, which along with 25 (next to last OI) had me baffled and fearing a DNF.

Agreeing with 23d as COD, clever for a 4-letter answer! Also enjoyed 23a, 14a, 14d and 10. 25 is a phrase I've seen but since forgotten and had to use Google to verify.

Couldn't discern a theme or any special puzzle features. Top and bottom rows of the grid are conducive to Ninas, but nothing apparent.
2 of 50  -   Report This Post

brendan

9th April 2022, 01:23
Hi Geeker,

It looks like we had a very similar solving experience. That's three weeks in a row, now, that the majority went in quite easily only for the last few to prove much more stubborn - still, it all adds to the overall enjoyment 😃
3 of 50  -   Report This Post

johnson

9th April 2022, 02:39
Thank you Crucible….
Two-halves for me too!

FOI 1dn
LOI 15dn
COD 14ac

Keep safe one and all
4 of 50  -   Report This Post

johnnykingsman

9th April 2022, 06:59
Snap. Also raced through this to start with. FOI 2d. Struggled to get last couple with 25 LOI - not a phrase I was familiar with.

Brendan, for 14a - put another vowel at the front of your answer and see how that sounds. 17, I thought relate as in 'telling a story'.

Overall, an enjoyable challenge, thanks Brendan and Crucible.
5 of 50  -   Report This Post

docrum

9th April 2022, 10:31
Is 25a Latin or another language?
6 of 50  -   Report This Post

neville17

9th April 2022, 10:34
Like several others 25a is a mystery to me ..... any hints would be welcome.
7 of 50  -   Report This Post

johnnykingsman

9th April 2022, 10:40
25a is a Latin phrase. It parses as a four letter word around five letters that are reversed.
8 of 50  -   Report This Post

rocky7

9th April 2022, 10:47
Unlike others I was two read throughs before I got a single answer which was 11a. On a train so maybe distracted but I'm making heavy weather of it.

Can someone explain the parsing of 22a if possible without spoilers. I'm just not seeing it.
9 of 50  -   Report This Post

neville17

9th April 2022, 10:59
Thank you johnnykingsman
10 of 50  -   Report This Post