CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

9th April 2022, 13:40
The country bumpkin is the first 2 and last 2 letters. Not a term commonly used in Britain - more US, I think.
21 of 50  -   Report This Post

jono

9th April 2022, 13:43
“There” (referring back to Central Park) is the indication that it’s an Americanism I think
22 of 50  -   Report This Post

mikey456

9th April 2022, 13:49
OK, thanks.
The definition of a country bumpkin is new to me, as well as the whole solution.
23 of 50  -   Report This Post

roof

9th April 2022, 17:43
Hi everyone

I hurt my back yesterday (threehours on laptop)and am loaded up with painkillers and diazepan. But it is still in spasm. So perhaps not surprising that I got zilch on first read through. Now I've got three!!

I'm finding it extradinarily difficult and may give up and retire to bed. I'm very fed up as I'd planned to do some gardening today.

My FOI was 16ac, which gave me 2d and 5d.

Can I have a hint for 1d (Is it an orchestra? or is that the anagrind). All I have is the J. I think I have 15d from the hints above, but can't parse it.

Any other hints gratefully received, but brain cells not working very well.
24 of 50  -   Report This Post

chrise

9th April 2022, 17:52
1 starts with an orchestra from manchester. it's probably the most famous chorus.
25 of 50  -   Report This Post

minno

9th April 2022, 18:18
Roof, if all else fails, a good way to relieve back pain overnight is to raise the foot end of your bed by putting one brick under each of its feet. This has the effect of slightly stretching your spinal column, anchored somewhat by your rump, thus relieving pressure just enough to perhaps break the pain/swelling/nerve pressure vicious circle. You have to deliberately sleep on your back. Don't worry too much about the blood going to your head. It's a very slight effect.

Still can't get or parse 8d. What am I missing?
26 of 50  -   Report This Post

geeker

9th April 2022, 18:24
8: Defn. "help", shift 1 letter in a word for "plan".
27 of 50  -   Report This Post

minno

9th April 2022, 18:33
Thanks Geeker, I had it but not the context and concept of plan.
28 of 50  -   Report This Post

roof

9th April 2022, 18:43
Thanks Chris

I got it as soon as I got 9ac. I should have got it sooner as I am familiar with the orchestra from my time living in Sheffield.

Minna

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll pass it by my husband. Could I achieve the same effect with pillows? Perhaps not? I'll ask him to install the bricks.

I've got quite a few more, but still a long way to go.
Could I have a hint for 14d please. I have got A?I?U?????.
I don't understand 23ac. Is the definition "horse"?
I'm also having trouble with 12ac I only have the first letter.
29 of 50  -   Report This Post

geeker

9th April 2022, 18:47
14a: Wrong crosser, I should be N. Defn. is "bare", French term. French also figures in wordplay for "water" (homophone).
30 of 50  -   Report This Post