CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

johnson

19th December 2021, 10:08
I have the same letters, and it’s my LOI, but I can’t see it. Any more hints……?
71 of 96  -   Report This Post

johnson

19th December 2021, 10:09
I mean for 50 ac
- N - A - G - N
72 of 96  -   Report This Post

brendan

19th December 2021, 10:11
Hi WilliamSeal,

I didn't do the last Maskarade I but if I remember it correctly there were no clue numbers in the grid so all that had to be worked out and some answers even had to split up into two before entry! In short, yes - this was much easier by comparison:-)
73 of 96  -   Report This Post

brendan

19th December 2021, 10:19
Hi Johnson,

50a - It's a Edmund Spencer word meaning "write expansively" as in 'expand' or 'amplify'. Your letters are correct and if it was being written today the word would or not by Spencer it would be spelt without the last letter.

It's a thematic word where the wordplay covers the letter 3 - 6 and is the first half of an 8 letter synonym for "generous gifts" as in spirit or manner.

All your letters are correct.
74 of 96  -   Report This Post

brendan

19th December 2021, 10:23
Johnson, apologies for the garbled and repetitious reply, I got distracted by a YouTube video on the Dyatlov Pass Incident of all thing:-)
75 of 96  -   Report This Post

jono

19th December 2021, 10:30
Last December we had 28 little unclued fish from Maskerade, I still have the printed copy on my desk! I’d say it was decidedly harder
76 of 96  -   Report This Post

juniorbee

19th December 2021, 10:50
Hi (first time poster here). I've made considerable progress thanks in no small way to this forum.

But still stuck on a few. I have 1a, 48a and 61a left in the across clues and by my counting two of these are SI clues? Am I correct?

If so I am stumped by 1a unless I have the first word wrong.. it starts with two vowels. Of course the other two could be the SI ones.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
77 of 96  -   Report This Post

brendan

19th December 2021, 10:59
Hi JuniorBee and welcome to Forum:-)

1a - Is a SI clue and does indeed start with two vowels. The wordplay is single letter "tense" then a 2,5 phrase meaning "in dispute" minus its last letter/'endlessly' - definition is a non-English phrase meaning "in a specific year of one's age"

48a - Is a SI clue and the wordplay is simply one letter "name" and it's a DD so I found by scouring Google:-)

61a - Is a normal clue with a cryptic definition as in if "you're (found to be) over this" then you are 'officially "drunk"

We look forward to hearing more from you in the future:-)
78 of 96  -   Report This Post

roof

19th December 2021, 14:29
Hi Brendan

Oh what a fool I be! My friend in Sheffield has put me right. I wish someone had put me right yesterday about the common feature in the theme words. It would have saved me a lot of time. I've done a lot in the last hour, but still got some googling to do. Despite me learning some latin over lockdown, it was not enough for 1ac. In return I was able to reassure her that 2d has no defintion and that encore was superfluous in 47ac thanks to the forum.

I must do more jobs, but I'll be back later for those I still haven't got.
79 of 96  -   Report This Post

barretter

19th December 2021, 14:38
Spenser, not Spencer.
80 of 96  -   Report This Post