CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

geeker

27th November 2021, 00:56
Thanks to Picaroon for a fun and well-constructed Prize, continuing his run of excellent form.
The puzzle is clearly themed, as indicated by one of the long across clues, but some thematic inclusions are not obvious.
FOI 8, second word was a write-in but Messrs. Google helped with the first.
LOI 14, a COD candidate with misdirection.
I really enjoyed the puzzle, as indicated by my COD candidate list of 15 clues! Will call 7 COD, though many are worthy.
Perhaps above median difficulty, though solving time was moderate. Several across clues are easier once the theme is grasped, and a number of clues feature tricky misdirects IMO.
Good luck, I hope forum members also enjoy this one!
1 of 62  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

27th November 2021, 02:09
Geeker, I agree that figuring out the theme made getting the rest of the across clues easier. I’m stumped on 5d though.
2 of 62  -   Report This Post

geeker

27th November 2021, 02:21
5 a tricky. It parses as 5 with a 2 inserted, followed by 1. At the risk of spoilers, the 2 is a synonym for "cool" (in the slang sense).
3 of 62  -   Report This Post

geeker

27th November 2021, 02:22
Rather, 5 is tricky.
4 of 62  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

27th November 2021, 02:51
Thanks, geekier. As is so often the case, I saw it right after I posted.
5 of 62  -   Report This Post

chrisxxxx

27th November 2021, 03:18
Finaly done after stumbling along many blind alleys .COD 9a for the smooth surface . Enjoyable and doable although my first read through had me thinking otherwise .
6 of 62  -   Report This Post

bigjack

27th November 2021, 05:27
Just back from a Christmas concert (not at home in UK, but 6 hours behind here), rattled quickly through till ground to a halt on 9a and 14a. Eventually, I cracked ‘em.
I never like the expression used here for “sport”, which IMHO more readily translates to “exercise”.
But I did love the masterful misdirection in 9a, my COD
7 of 62  -   Report This Post

johnson

27th November 2021, 08:53
I’m struggling today….
5d. I think it might be - H - N - S - A
Am I on the right track?
8 of 62  -   Report This Post

chrisxxxx

27th November 2021, 09:11
All crossers are right
9 of 62  -   Report This Post

johnson

27th November 2021, 09:27
Thanks. Then I think it must be a write in. Can’t parse it though….
10 of 62  -   Report This Post