CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

27th November 2021, 18:47
Hi Ricky,

13d - The European is a 4 letter member of a Baltic people - the cricketer is a position rather than a specific one.
41 of 62  -   Report This Post

brendan

27th November 2021, 18:48
Apologies for the name typo Rocky:-)
42 of 62  -   Report This Post

rocky7

27th November 2021, 18:52
Thanks all. I didn't know that's what you called someone from that lovely part of the world. I shall crack on.
43 of 62  -   Report This Post

roof

27th November 2021, 19:58
Hi Brendan

Glad to see that you have joined us.

I mananged to do a few more, but am still stuck on many. I got the theme from 26ac and 22ac, but I can't see a theme word in 14ac, so perhaps I have the wrong answer for the second word. I have lots of crossers for 11ac, but am stumped. I could also do with a hint for 7d.
That would tie up the right hand side.

The left hand side is largely blank, apart from 1ac and 23ac. Perhaps a hint for 15ac would help. I'm assuming it is a novel. I thought it must involve an anagram of caber, but what else?
44 of 62  -   Report This Post

brendan

27th November 2021, 20:07
Hi Roof,

Thanks, I was very tired last night so went to bed early, at about 11.30 and had a good sleep:-)

14a - Last 5 letters are the the theme word.

11a - 2 letter "running" + 4 letter "part of battery" all inside 4 letter "big car" - definition is "alcohol".

7d - Is something people you "can't trust" might say 2,3 around a single letter "pound" (although it says "pounds" so I might have parsed this wrong) - definition a singular "boot"

15a - Yes, a Novel - 2 letter "city" inside/captivated by an anagram/tossing of "caber"
45 of 62  -   Report This Post

roof

27th November 2021, 20:23
Thanks Brendan

I've now got 7d, which means I have got the second word of 14ac wrong.

I thought 11ac might be an alcohol, but haven't managed to identify it yet. Perhaps I'll get the theme word first, same with 14ac.

I tried what you suggested for 15ac, but didn't find anything. I'll try again. Maybe I've got the wrong city. There aren't many two letter cities. I only know one!

Just got 11ac and 14ac. I can't understand why I didn't get them before.

My husband is a cricket fan, but has been unable to help with 13d.
46 of 62  -   Report This Post

brendan

27th November 2021, 20:30
Sorry Roof, I should have said that the "city" is a postcode - I actually live there, although I doubt that's much help 😜

13d - Geoffrey Boycott was one of the these around a 4 letter person from the Baltic - see Jazzgirl's @40 and my @41.
47 of 62  -   Report This Post

roof

27th November 2021, 21:12
Thanks Brendan

I had thought of the postcode and initially couldn't see the anagram, but then it came.

I'm getting there. Just the top left (North west) corner left before Scandi noir.

I could do with a hint for 1d and 12ac
48 of 62  -   Report This Post

roof

27th November 2021, 21:15
With 13d, I thought the answer would be a fielder, not a batsman
49 of 62  -   Report This Post

brendan

27th November 2021, 21:18
Thanks Roof.

1d - 3 letter "what model did" + 1 letter homophone/"heard" of "you" + 4 letter "price" - definition is "steep" as a verb

12a - Single letter "cross" + 2 letter "about" inside/entering 3 letter "state" as a verb - definition is an "old European kingdom.

I hope you enjoyed your daughter's visit:-)
50 of 62  -   Report This Post