CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

roof

27th November 2021, 23:18
Many thanks Brendan

I think I've got the last four, the last two in the last few minutes after the Scandi Noir.

I'd never have got there withour your help and that of others in the Forum. I found it very difficult. I think Picaroon is the hardest setter for me. Plus my brain is failing as I get older. I hope it is easier next week.

It was good to see my daughter today, especially as my shoulder is still very painful. I will see her again next week (Friday) as we'll be getting together with my sisters and their daughters for a pre Christmas family lunch. I have to finish the puddings and cakes before then to pass to them. I just have got the cakes to ice tomorrow. There is a lot to do at this time of year!

I'll be back in touch next week. Best wishes

51 of 62  -   Report This Post

teewens

28th November 2021, 08:15
Finally finished this morning with much help from the forum. Like Roof, I am slower now that I'm getting older and not just at crosswords! Many thanks to Picaroon for a delightful puzzle.
52 of 62  -   Report This Post

feebee

28th November 2021, 14:05
Slow to get started. Had to go through the thread twice to get 3/4 of the way there! I got 23a very late on, I can’t parse it but know it’s right because of the theme.

Please can I have some help so I can finish the SW corner. I’ve got 20a, 16d, 19d and 21d left.
Thank you.
53 of 62  -   Report This Post

brendan

28th November 2021, 14:15
Hi Feebee,

23a - 2 letter "hip" + 4 letter "play" + 2 letter "in (in) French" + "theatre's opening".

20a - 4 letter "ballot" + 4 letter anagram - definition is "one is making thing's dirty"

16d - 5 letter "profanity" around 3 letter anagram - definition is an old word for a "thief".

21d - If you take a 7 letter word for people who have "depressing experiences and then remove the first letter/topless you get a word meaning "they have"

19d - Is a double definition.
54 of 62  -   Report This Post

brendan

28th November 2021, 14:29
Sorry Feebee, slight adjustment to the parsing of ...

21d - It's 7 letter "depressing experiences" then, if you remove the first letter/topless, you get "they have"
55 of 62  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

28th November 2021, 20:55
Finally have something written in for all clues... can't parse loads of them though so time to read the thread!
56 of 62  -   Report This Post

feebee

28th November 2021, 21:09
Thank you Brendan. I’d made a spelling mistake in 23a which hadn’t helped!
All done now but no way I’d have made it without help. I don’t think my brain is on Picaroon’s wavelength.
57 of 62  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

28th November 2021, 21:12
Ok I can parse most of it now, had to correct 1D though.

Still can't parse 5D but I know it is correct from other hints.

I wasn't aware of the pants for 14A before so it makes sense now.

Not sure about 7D either but it must be correct, if the "you can't trust us" part is 2,3 it only has one pound in it, I was expecting 2, but I suppose it is fine since the symbol can be single or plural I guess.

19D I have something that makes sense (high part of something) which looks right I suppose.
58 of 62  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

28th November 2021, 21:21
I can't see a 23A in 23A either, to be super nitpicky ;)
59 of 62  -   Report This Post

jono

28th November 2021, 21:22
5d parses as a 5 letter word for track around 2 letters (cool) then 1 letter for area
60 of 62  -   Report This Post