CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

whetstone

31st October 2021, 12:11
Apologies to moderators ...I'm creating a new thread because when I created the previous one I forgot to tick the 'notify me' box.
Here goes ...

9a. Shock treatment from Mark Antony initially getting Caesar changing direction
MACASSAR

12a. Actors taking a course for role of Alonso or Ferdinand say
CASTAWAY

18A. Windsor gentleman making earliest appointment for Falstaff?
PAGE

20a. Like the rest of crowned heads, according to Henry IV
UNEASY

25a. Shakespearean lieutenant one with "a lean and hungry look" has nothing for us
CASSIO

8d. Leonte's queen, I am turning up on being consealed in this place
HERMIONE

Parses for the above please.
All from the same crossword...this setter was clearly into his/her literature!!!!
1 of 1537  -   Report This Post

chrise

31st October 2021, 12:14
9 MA - initial letters of Mark Antony, then CAESAR with E(ast) chnaged to S(outh)
Hair (shock) treatment, hence "anit-macassars" on armchairs
2 of 1537  -   Report This Post

chrise

31st October 2021, 12:17
25 CASSIUS of the "lean and hungry look" with US changed to O (nothing). I don't know where CASSIO features.

8 NO IM up in HERE
3 of 1537  -   Report This Post

chrise

31st October 2021, 12:20
20 the quote is "uneasy lies the head that wears a crown"

It reminds me of the play review that went something like
"He played the King as if in constant fear that someone else would play the ace"
4 of 1537  -   Report This Post

chrise

31st October 2021, 12:22
12 Ferdinand is one of those shipwrecked in The Tempest.
5 of 1537  -   Report This Post

chrise

31st October 2021, 12:24
Mistress Page was one of the Merry Wives of Windsor, but I don't see how the rest works.
6 of 1537  -   Report This Post

norah (admin)

31st October 2021, 13:05
Whetstone, in view of what you say, I’ll leave this thread and let the other one fall off the first page in its natural order. If you’ve got any queries outstanding in that thread, could you please copy and paste them into this thread.
7 of 1537  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

31st October 2021, 13:08
re 18a in the Merry wives of Windsor, George(Thomas) Page is involved in a plot by Falstaff to make an appointment to court Thomas Page wife.
(I last watched this play live on Brownsea Island in the 1970's accompanied by Peacocks and mosquitos who interrupted the proceedings by walking on the stage and biting the audience respectively)
8 of 1537  -   Report This Post

norah (admin)

31st October 2021, 13:08
PLEASE COULD I ASK ALL USERS NOT TO POST IN THE OTHER THREAD, IT NEEDS TO FALL OFF THE FIRST PAGE.
9 of 1537  -   Report This Post

whetstone

31st October 2021, 13:17
Thanks for all the replies...my knowledge of literature, especially Shakespeare is very poor, hence I struggled.

@Norah(admin)... thanks for being understanding.
10 of 1537  -   Report This Post