CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

paradigmshifter

18th September 2021, 18:54
I should also mention I probably wouldn't have been programming an 18A for a living if it wasn't for Clive Sinclair, who sadly passed away yesterday.
81 of 116  -   Report This Post

aicram

18th September 2021, 18:57
Nearly finished.
27A is my favourite.
But still struggling on 1D and 9A
Help would be very welcome.
And then I can sleep soundly tonight.
82 of 116  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

18th September 2021, 18:58
1D: Scottish logarithm guy
9A: A word for lovely without one of the letters, loosely meaning "Mickey Mouse"
83 of 116  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

18th September 2021, 20:34
I counted 5 trade names not 4, 18A is a registered trade mark also.
84 of 116  -   Report This Post

aicram

18th September 2021, 20:51
Thankyou.
Can sleep soundly now.
85 of 116  -   Report This Post

justsolve

18th September 2021, 21:19
DOH! Thanks Mathi...
86 of 116  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

18th September 2021, 23:01
1D was my first one in anyway, logarithms are used a lot in computer algorithm analysis (but rarely come up during day-to-day programming, unless you want to label a graph axis nicely or are working with sound volumes in decibels, or are sampling a Normal distribution efficiently), and obviously very important to mathematics (mainly analysis/number theory).
87 of 116  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

18th September 2021, 23:07
Just realised... LOGARITHM is an anagram of ALGORITHM... Mind Blown!
88 of 116  -   Report This Post

roof

18th September 2021, 23:10
HI again

I got back from Budleigh Lit Fest at 8.00pm and had an hour trying to get more than two, then stopped to watch Scandi Noir. Now back again and just read through the rest of the thread. One of my five was 1d as I spotted the reference to logs fairly quickly. I've just remembered what Scottish hills are called, I think. I've put an r in it and I still can't make sense of the answer.

I have no idea what the connection is between Betty and Scott, though I think I know the answer.

Please can I have some hints to help me through the next hour before I give up and go to bed.

Is 16d an anagram? I can't get the mathematician in 5d, please can I have a hint for that. I've no crossers yet.

I've got the second word for 13d I think, but am awaiting th PDM for the first word.

A hint for 11ac would help. I have the first letter. I thought it was an anagram, but haven't solved it yet, or at all.

(Sorry Jono, I didn't get chance to walk along the beach at Budleigh to the Otter, but I've walked from the mill to the sea and on to Budleigh a few times over lock down.)
89 of 116  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

18th September 2021, 23:13
You don't want an R in the Scottish hills one... think of a kind of runner.

16D is an anagram with a 2 letter word in the middle.

5D: Famous sequencer I suppose.

11A: Anagram of a 3 letter word + a word for "seeking fish"
90 of 116  -   Report This Post