CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

geeker

18th September 2021, 01:02
Thanks to Picaroon, who's rising to the very top of my setter pantheon, on a brilliant, though extremely challenging Prize!
So many outstanding clues (my short list numbered 19!) that it's almost impossible to specify one. Let's call 1d and 27 co-winners. Difficult to recall a puzzle with such a high level of cluing.
FOI 24: almost the entire first pass resulted in blanks. For about a half-hour I despaired of being able to complete even a third of the grid.
LOI 27, clever misdirection held me up.
Can't see a theme, though I rarely do and am too tired at this point. Found three pairs of somewhat related clues, but nothing comprehensive. Four entries reflected Picaroon's Pauline side. :-) Only needed Google for one clue, a commercial trademark (?).
Good luck to forum solvers, there should be an active dialogue this weekend.
1 of 116  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

18th September 2021, 01:35
Great stuff. There were a couple of moments when I thought I was going to need help, only for the penny to drop - ;-) - a few seconds later. LOI 27 for me too, preceded by 19, which yielded only after getting the equally cleverly misdirecting 28.
Hugely satisfying.
2 of 116  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

18th September 2021, 01:37
Just peeked in to see if I was being dense or if this one really is that difficult. I think I have the answer. Back to the puzzle.
3 of 116  -   Report This Post

mystogre

18th September 2021, 03:07
Afternoon all,
That was a challenge and I m still not sure of a couple.
Superb misdirections. Got down to 26a before I saw one. Then it was grind time - I counted four trade names.
Good fun as usual though.
4 of 116  -   Report This Post

chrisxxxx

18th September 2021, 05:51
Could I have a hint for my last clue 19 d . Loved the crossword esp the audacity of 28 .
5 of 116  -   Report This Post

buzzybee

18th September 2021, 06:03
19d. An unusual structure in that the word play and definition are one and the same last four words, as indicated by "perhaps"
6 of 116  -   Report This Post

chrisxxxx

18th September 2021, 06:08
Many thanks for a great hint that I still had to work on .All done
7 of 116  -   Report This Post

dougalf

18th September 2021, 09:07
I'm stuck with nothing except 4 in the NE, (my FOI actually!). I'm looking forward to untangling 1a so would appreciate a hint to one of the downs to get me going. MTIA!
8 of 116  -   Report This Post

polly1

18th September 2021, 09:16
4d think of the months of the year!
3d think of a definition of main
9 of 116  -   Report This Post

rocky7

18th September 2021, 09:17
Early days for me yet but I suspect I'm going to be at this for a while throughout the day. Already some great clues though.

If I have the answer to 9 down correct, is that really how you would describe the use of those two words? I would have said cheap was a better definition. Maybe I have the answer wrong.
10 of 116  -   Report This Post